Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strawberries At Last

Like most places we live, there are some special benefits to living there, fresh shrimp on the gulf coast for example. One of the special treats for Almost Heaven South is a strawberry farm about 15 minutes from our house. I’ve always been a fan of them and have been spoiled by having access to berries that are good tasting varieties and are picked ripe, so they are sweeter and more flavorful than the commercial ones from the store. They grow several varieties that come in at different times over a 6-8 week period, so we can just pick the small quantities we plan to eat, then go get more. Here’s a shot of the ones Bev picked this morning, and the few I’ve eaten are soooo good. She picked a few that were now as ripe as she would have liked, but there had apparently been lots of pickers the last two days. These early ones are not quite as tasty as the later ones, but still light years better than those in the store.


I’d been saving the various strawberry recipes you’ve been posting so now it’s time to try a few. More to come.

Thanks for stopping by.

Larry

5 comments:

  1. Our glut of Florida berries leading to the bargain basement prices seems to be over - prices have stabilized back up to a more normal range now. Since we get them here from both Louisiana and Florida they are always very fresh and sweet, but I can't imagine how great they must be practically from your own yard!

    I am SO excited though.... sweet sweet Vidalia onions and sweet Florida corn are just beginning to come in right now, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than Tennessee Strawberries.... YUM---that picture made my mouth water... ha

    Love the Azalea header.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous - you get them much earlier than up here. Ours are good to go in JUNE. Be sure to post some of your strawberry creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I don't think we have any strawberry farms in Colorado. I'll have to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Constantine mentioned the farms were opening this weekend but the rain yesterday caused me to hold off until next weekend. Looks like I missed out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments