Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Off And Planting

I’d posted earlier that I’m working with a church group who is growing a vegetable garden and they got started the other day by planting corn and beans. I’d told them they would need a string the length of the garden tied between two stakes to lay out the rows by, but when I got there, this is what I found.


I had to laugh and told them they were just planting corn and not building a rocket ship. They advised they were a bunch of Engineers and couldn’t help themselves and as a fellow engineer, I understood.

Here they are planting away. I told them there were several ways to plant corn, but I prefer a single seed every 6” and I had to convince them not to measure the 6”. I had to leave early to make a veggie talk at a local garden center, so I just have to assume they got it all in ok.


We finally got a little rain yesterday to coax the seeds out of the ground. With the effort and enthusiasm they're starting out with, I sure hope they have a success.

Later today, we're heading out to buy the items for their irrigation system. In East Tennessee, most of the farmers actually raise beef, or grow hay, corn or other field crops, but Grainger County is locally known for it's vegetables, especially tomatos. As a result, the Farmers Coop there carries the items they need for that business and it is the nearest place to get the irrigation supplies. We could order them, but since us retired guys need something to do, a field trip to Rutledge, Tn is in order.

Title pic is a transplanted wild trilium in Bev's woods garden.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you're off to a neat and orderly start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Least us engineers understand each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys have everything under control! Can't wait to see all the goodies that are produced from this garden! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is an engineer and I know EXACTLY what you mean. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the idea of a community garden - what a great project! You guys should have a lot of fun with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious story, Larry, I could totally see that with a bunch of engineers.

    Grainger tomatoes are awesome and I'm looking forward to them being available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! Having watched the movie "Food Inc.", I so appreciate seeing people grow crops the "real" way. I can hardly wait for my tomatoes to be ready!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments