Tuesday, January 27, 2015

2015 Florida Trip – Day 23 – Salmon Cakes

We brought some frozen King Salmon tail pieces from home that we had purchased in Wheeling WV at $7/lb. and there was a unanimous decision to turn it into salmon cakes (salmon patties in my family) using the recipe from our previous batch.  Wow, how time flies as it had been July, 2011 when last we made them and I had saved the same Ina Garten recipe twice from fellow bloggers who had made them since then.

After weighing the salmon and discovering we had two pounds, we decided to cook it all, eat half and use the other half for the cakes in a day or two.  Since we had some blackening seasoning with us, we used it for the first meal along with some salad - note the watermelon radish.

Bear in mind that we all grew up eating salmon cakes made from the canned fish and usually topped with ketchup and this may have been Pat’s first ever from fresh salmon.  Rather than repeat Ina’s recipe, I’ll just provide the link from our last time which includes the original recipe and how we made a larger amount - I used a pound of salmon for this run so I'd have left overs.

Just as last time, they were very good and since we didn’t have sauce ingredients, we ate them unadorned .




And for breakfast the next day, it was a toasted English muffin, the cakes reheated in the micro wave topped with baby Swiss cheese, and poached eggs.




These were fantastic and almost inspired me to whip up some Hollandaise for the next morning.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/18 & 1/19/15 meal dates

17 comments:

  1. It all looks so tasty, and thanks for a few new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salmon is one of our favorite fish and we eat it quite often. I sometimes plan for salmon to be leftover. I'll have to try your cakes. They look delicious. You guys do eat well on the road.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking how amazing the salmon cakes would be with an egg on top! Dinner and breakfast both look AMAZING to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, When I saw the title of this posting, I just knew that some salmon cakes would end up with an egg on them! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew I should've bypassed this the second I clicked! I love love salmon, and all your salmon looks delicious; they're salmon patties here too. So good with the eggs, yum! I'm just wondering if there's any food you don't like with a fried egg on top. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this recipe and thanks for poking me to make them again! Can't have crab, due to an allergy, so I LOVE salmon cakes! Happy RV'ing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like 3 lovely meals. You could have added Hollandaise instead of the cheese, and that would have been wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am seriously getting hungry looking at this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may have just changed my mind about fish for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love salmon cakes Larry. Hope you are staying warm now that you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever idea...using the leftover salmon cakes for breakfast. Ina's recipe? Looks wonderful! She's the best. I've never made her salmon cakes. My mother used to make a salmon loaf we all loved. Have no idea where the recipe is, must ask my sister.
    I think I'd prefer your blackened salmon though...yummy dinner.
    Chilly down here now, but not for long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I can always count on your for some good egg pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aren't they a revelation from the canned salmon cakes? I love Ina's recipe and need to make them again soon. King salmon is probably my most favorite of all the wild caught salmon varieties, since I stopped eating the farm-raised stuff. Your poached eggs look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to taste these! I also saved Ina's recipe a couple of years ago but haven't tried it yet. Looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are perfect looking salmon cakes, I'll just have to convert them to crab cakes :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments