Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Cabin In The Mountains – Day 2

We began our first full day on the Cumberland Plateau by going to Sister’s Café in Crossville for brunch as it came highly recommended and it was my favorite kind of place – a hole-in-the-wall serving good home cooking to the locals.



I had a very good, but not photo worthy, basic breakfast meal and Bev had a hot roast beef sandwich which I only remembered to shoot after she started eating, but the best shot was the homemade coconut cream pie, which we just had to try.



Bev’s meal and the pie were also both very good and we took half of both to go.

After breakfast, we headed south on US-127 and soon left the Cumberland Plateau and dropped into the Sequatchie Valley which is a beautiful long narrow valley and home to some large cattle operations.  I didn’t get any shots so I lifted these from the web.




Just north of the state park lies Crossville. TN which bills itself as the Golf Capital of Tennessee due mostly to Fairfield Glade and Lake Tansi Village both of which began as vacation resorts but now have mostly full time residents and many retirees.  I’d been to Fairfield Glade a few times but wanted to check out Lake Tansi as we headed back to the state park.  While we saw real farming operations down in the valley, back up on the plateau and near Lake Tansi, we came across several gentlemen farms and got these shots.



I didn’t get any shots of Tansi, so here are a few from the web.




This really is a beautiful area and I understand why it is popular.  After our drive, we went back to the cabin, built a nice fire, and piled up for the rest of the day – had our leftovers from Sisters, cheese and crackers, and wine for supper – perfect.

All-in-all a nice relaxing day of doing pretty much nothing – it’s a rough job but someone has got to do this kind of work.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/14/14 event date

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful country! Even though you didn't take it, love the photo of those bulls. And my gosh, the food from Sisters looks amazing. That roast beef sandwich is a spectacle ... in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gravy slathered all over that's my kind of meal! I am a raspberry pie lover did they have any? I might have to drive there :) looks like a great place to eat! Have a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely place to relax and enjoy the scenery. That was some brunch.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you believe that we've never eaten at Sisters? We'll have to get there sometime soon. It looks as if you had a great day exploring our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That roast beef sandwich really looked good. Wish I could find a good one around here. May have to break down and make my own. A beautiful drive and sitting in front of the fireplace - sounds almost perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, I'm glad that you've enjoyed doing nothing and just chilling out... That pie looks great! Thanks for the tip on Sisters restaurant...Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a beautiful place! That coconut cream pie has me drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The holes in the wall are always the best places! Now I want coconut cream pie, too. Maybe when Ryan comes home, so I don't have to eat it alone (Mark won't touch it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am sure that you all BOTH needed a few days to do NOTHING but what you wanted to do. I've lived here since 2003 and I've never even heard of Sisters.. I'll have to check it out. I love the local places like that. I remember when I lived in New Orleans, we always stayed away from the touristy places and found those little 'hole in the wall' type of places. There was a burger place which was in a 'pool hall'.... We always called and ordered and then 'quickly' getting in and out of that stinky place --to pick up our order. Best Cheeseburgers I have had in my ENTIRE life...

    Do you realize that one of the 'web' photos you used is GEORGE's.??.. His is the 3rd one (after that yummy looking pie)--and his watermark, Photo by Senior Hiker, is in the corner.... He was pleased that you chose his photo. That was taken when we met friends at the Cookie Jar Restaurant in Dunlap. We need to take you two there sometime.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appears like your little trip to the cabin in the woods was just what the two of you needed. Even with the cold drafts, it sounds like a pleasant stay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've traveled 27 several times and really enjoy that drive. It looks like 127 is the same thing only on the Western side of that ridge. I'll have to try that one out one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I'd love to see green grass and leaves on the trees again! Looks like a beautiful area, Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pie leaves me drooling! Love it all, esp. the end of they day, cabin and the fire and the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments