Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Steak, Green Beans, and Horses

The other night, I was in the mood for steak and Bev found some green bean bundles in the freezer from last year’s garden.  I grilled them both on the charcoal grill to get this.


We have a vacuum sealer and I continue to be impressed with the more-than-a-year-old food that we discover and eat.  The beans were as fresh and tasty as they would have been after just a month in the freezer and they were very good grilled - everything is better wrapped in char grilled bacon.  The steaks had been in there awhile as well and I consider the vacuum sealer a must for our lifestyle - we wore out a FoodSaver and now have a commercial grade one from Cabela's. 

On another subject, the small road to the dog groomer takes me through a rural area and past a couple of horse farms and on this trip I just happened to have the camera with me.  I can’t think of many views more serene than the horses leisurely grazing in a lush green pasture.



Another field contained a couple of moms and their little guys.


The farm belongs to Mike Wahl Performance Horses and I understand they train horses from around the world. 

In addition to the real farmers/ranchers, there are also a few gentleman farmers along the road - nary a critter inside their fenced area.



Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/6/14 meal date

15 comments:

  1. Now I want a steak for dinner. Those t-bones from the butcher shop are calling my name. But they are going to have to wait. So I'll just drool all over my computer. I agree - watching horses is so peaceful. They are such magnificent animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have looked at the vacuum sealers for a while but with fulltiming can't justify the cost for use in our somewhat small freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely drive. I would be inclined to take that drive often. Your steaks look fantastic. I'm impressed with your vacuum sealer.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Larry, It's a shame the neighborhood is going downhill :-) I hope you and Bev are both well. Your dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Beautiful steaks and green beans couldn't be prepared in a more appetizing way than being wrapped in bacon! Laurie will like the horse photos... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a horse across the street and down a little bit from our high school. Since it's a residential area, and he's got about 3 acres in a 1/2 acre zoned area, I'm guessing the horses have been grandfathered in for at least 30 years. They are pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our food saver is on its last legs, but thinking we can't pop for a Cabela's commercial model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my vacuum sealer. I've only had it for a year and can't believe I didn't buy one sooner. Your photos of the countryside are so serene. I think my blood pressure dropped 5 just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Larry, That steak and green beans dinner looks good. We love our Vacuum Sealer also... We don't get freezer burn anymore.. YEAH!

    Your area is absolutely gorgeous. I had no idea it was so pretty under we drove back in that area. WOW.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that horse farm is beautiful, as are your steaks! Did you freeze the beans with the bacon around them??

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely area you live in, Larry…almost heaven, indeed. Looks like you had a great meal to finish off the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live in a beautiful area, "almost heaven south", indeed. I've been having problems commenting…am trying something new but I think it will show me at Blogspot or Blogger instead of Wordpress. I'll see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love traversing the back roads of East Tennessee, there are so many jewels like this out there. You should see this small ranch off of Connaster road ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm using FoodSaver V3240 for steak. That sounds good. Thanks for your shares, that helps me very much!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments