Bev had gone freezer diving and came out with a package she thought was steaks, but , after thawing, it turned out to be beef chuck short ribs (I'd never seen them before this) and since they were boneless, I assumed they were akin to pork country ribs.
She then decided she wanted to freeze some and take it on vacation with her (annual trip to Sint Maarten) so I went searching for a recipe that would work and ended up combining several. Braising is the preferred cooking method, but I got a late start so I pulled out the new pressure cooker (PC) for the job and made shredded beef again - crock pot last time.
3# beef chuck short ribs
2 tsp. bacon grease
2 tsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, rough chop
1 bell pepper, rough chop
2 stalks celery, rough chop
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. mild chimayo chile powder
2 cups beef broth
1. Use the food processor to fine dice the veggies (I wanted them to disappear into the final product).
2. Heat bacon grease and oil in the PC pan and season meat with S&P.
3. Add the meat to the pan so as not to crowd, brown on all sides, and remove to a plate. Bev didn't want gravy, go they were not floured prior to browning.
4. Add vegetables to the pan and cook 10 minutes (or until nearly dry), scrapping up the fond, then add garlic and cook a couple more minutes.
5. Deglaze the pan (if still needed) with beef broth then add it all along with the herbs & spices, and stir well.
6. Add the beef ribs to the pan, making sure they are covered, put the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at low pressure for 45 minutes.
7. Remove the meat to a cutting board, shred, and add back to the pan.
8. Stir well, serve, and enjoy.
It was very good and we just topped some smashed potatoes with the meat, but it would be great on a sandwich, in a burrito, and with many other dishes. This post is obviously about the recipe and not the photo J
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
3/8/14 event date