Saturday, October 15, 2011

Marco Island Vacation – Dining 1


One of the things that describes a vacation for Bev is spending very little time in the kitchen, so at least one daily meal is at a restaurant – usually the main meal of the day.

When we were last here, I went to Captain Briens, just up the street, for take-out fish sandwiches to be eaten in the condo.  I was very under-whelmed and we didn’t eat there again but Pat (SIL) and Bev gave it a try before I got there this year and liked it, so we went back.  They split a fried seafood platter and I had one of the specials which was flounder (I chose herb broiled), accompanied by two sides and I had baked potato and Boston baked beans.

Their fried platter was decent, but Captain Brien’s is 0 for 2 with me.  The fish was barely okay but certainly nothing special to be the special and, the beans were doctored up pork and beans from a can, like we fix at home, and nowhere near Boston BAKED beans – however they were served in a little crock.  The biggest disappointment was the potato which had to have been baked the day before and judging from the color degradation, it could have been 2 days old.  After my 13 hour drive and 1:30 am arrival, I was tired and in no mood for any type of conflict, so I ate what I could, but should have sent it back.  I will not make a third mistake with them.  Too bad even for photo.

Now for the good.  Knowing that Sam and Meakin Hofer (MyCarolina Kitchen) have spent lots of time in the area I requested a recommendation and was advised to try The Dock on the water in Naples.  Since the girls have to make an annual shopping trip to nearby Tin City, we made an afternoon of it beginning with lunch at The Dock. 

The restaurant is all open with only drop down clear plastic walls for use in bad weather. We started at this inner table then were able to move to the rail for the second shot from the table.

I’d been wanting some good shellfish and we even stopped at a couple of fish markets on the way to Naples – finding no oysters and I was shocked at the $17 price for a dozen raw oysters in the restaurants – I remember when they went from 15 cents to a quarter each and being in dis-belief.

I’d about decided on my meal when Bev said I should get the Shellfish Tower, which I’d missed on the menu, but decided I could not pass up.

This baby had 6 raw oysters and clams, 12 steamed mussels, 6 boiled shrimp and half a snow crab, plus 3 sauces and lots of napkins.  I enjoyed every bite and while it looks like a lot to eat, about 75 percent of it was still on the tower when I finished – I was pleasantly full.  The waitress said she’d served several as a table-wide appetizer but never to a person as a meal – she can count on her second time when I come down next year.  Bev had fried oysters and Pat had coconut shrimp and everything was delicious – thank you Sam and Meakin, you guys know your restaurants.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Marco Day 3


Larry

9 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the Dock at Crayton Cove Larry. We've been going there since the seventies. It was Meakin's Mom's favorite restaurant. She would order a hot dog and tell them to burn it. The last time we were there the hot dog wasn't on the menu. We inquired and were told although it's not on the menu, you can still order it so I did in remembrance of Meakin's Mom. When the waitress put it on the table, a well-dressed gentleman with a bow tie looked over and winked, as if to signal I knew the same secret he did - the hot dog is fabulous there and a well kept secret.

    Personally I would love to have that great seafood platter you had right now, and it's breakfast time. Best to Bev and Pat.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, I'm into personal recommendations...especially if I already know that those making the recommendation really 'know' good food. We've eaten at Tin City as well but it was a few years back and I can't remember if it was at The Dock. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely understand not wanting to cook when on vacation! I'm glad you had a few delicious meals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love to cook on vacation with local ingredients and recipes I snoop of ladies on teh local market;) But mostly I do not have kitchen facilities to do so.Although for the fantastic oysters and prawn plate I see here I wouldn.t need one;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dock serves a great meal...glad that you and yours enjoyed the lunch! I could set there all day and enjoy the view....beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes, you know I'm not crazy about seafood but even I can find things to love about that tower of seafood! What a stunning platter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am visiting you from Angela's Blog - you look like you are on vacation. Having fun.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I most certainly could put a dent in that seafood platter! And darn that Captain Brians! Was the place full? I can't imagine how they stay in business.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments