Monday, July 25, 2011

Salmon And Quinoa

We eat a lot of less than healthy meals here at Almost Heaven South, but every now and then we do better and this was one of them, except for the butter.  This meal consisted of grilled salmon and Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad.  Even though we have salmon in the freezer, Bev couldn’t pass up a good deal on wild caught sockeye salmon in the store the other day – hard to believe how red it is.

I just oiled the salmon all over then added some Emeril’s Essence (with extra cayenne) to the top side.  I grilled it over medium high heat until I could remove the skin and flipped it.  To the skin side, I brushed on some melted butter and sprinkled on more Essence, but rather than let this side cook completely, I flipped again and brushed with more butter, then repeated.  I cooked it to about 140* and removed.

Awhile back, several of you had posted recipes made with quinoa and I bought some, which has been in the pantry for a couple of months.  Bev found this recipe in one of the newspapers and decided this was the night to try it.
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
1 cup pre rinsed Quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
3 tomatoes, diced
¼ cup fresh minced parsley
¼ cup fresh chopped mint
1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
¼ cup red onion, diced
3 tbsp olive oil 

Place rinsed quinoa and broth in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Chill about an hour before serving.  Toss once or twice while it’s chilling to distribute flavors.  We were concerned about the mint flavor so she omitted it and used double parsley.

Here’s my plate and I thought both were delicious – this won’t be the last quinoa dish.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
Larry

10 comments:

  1. YUM!! The salmon looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My---that salmon looks delicious... I love grilled salmon...

    Hope you all had a good weekend and stayed cool. Supposed to rain today --but not a drop here so far.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now isn't this timely. Just yesterday I was organizing the pantry and found a bag of quinoa that I had bought a few months ago. I tried it and hAAted it. It's currently sitting on the kitchen counter for a repeat try. I'll try it cold with a chill to marry the flavors. Wish me luck, as it is very good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, Great looking salmon! I'd even try the quinoa 'salad'... Have a great day! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have been enjoying more quinoa. Very good for us too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make salmon more often. The tabbouleh salad looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do enough gardening to make up for your unhealthy foods. They change food "guidelines" so much that you can't keep up with what's good anyway. This looks like a simple meal for a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked quinoa but the rest of the family didn't really care for it. The salmon turned out looking excellent, nice color both before and after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've fallen off my diet this summer and have some salmon that I froze earlier that I need to prepare. Your grilled salmon looks fantastic! Oh yes, we do brush on butter (melted) too with some lemon juice and minced garlic whisked in. I guess I never think of the calories of butter on salmon! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks healthy and delicious - and I just tried a Tabouleh salad with quinoa & bulger. Fabulous! I'm glad to see you "healthying it up" a little, Larry. It's hard though with all that good food out there. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments