Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring Break With The Grandkids -2

Prior to the visit, Riley, the youngest of the three Walker grandkids, said there was one thing she wanted to do for sure while here – pick and eat some lettuce. It was the last day before we had suffecient leaves big enough to pick, but she got enough of several varieties and a green onion to make her a nice salad. Here she is picking some of the green - I think she picked a little each of a half dozen varieties.

While the two older girls are only interested in their electronic devices, Riley still likes to play outside and play in the garden (work to me).  She also helped me plant a row of snow peas along the garden fence.  They all went to town and didn't get home until late that evening, so she ate her salad Sunday for breakfast - my kinda gal.


We took them home on Sunday and things have returned to normal at Almost Heaven South – at least it did after we rested a couple of days and spent a few days putting the house back together.

My tomatoes ready to go into the ground in the next week or so and the stars of our landscape (azaleas) are beginning to put on a show.


The fields of winter wheat (green) and canola (yellow) are beginning to beautify the countryside.  I took these out the car window on my way to town.  If you blow up the first shot, you can see a hawk (upper left).


All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago: When Only A Burger Will Do

Larry

9 comments:

  1. She'll always remember Grandpa's garden and eating her own hand picked salad for breakfast. Great post. We planted canola one year on the farm and I was back at just the right time to see it bloom. Beautiful. Our fields are mostly Winter wheat however. That hawk might be a Turkey Vulture...you might want to keep moving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe your granddaughter wanted to eat lettuce! That's awesome. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see them come and it's nice to see them go :-) You both are fantastic grandparents. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, That's a great looking plate of greens! If only our grandsons would eat something like that... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've decided that one hour of grandchildren equals 2 hour of nap on my part. So, a whole weekend would require days and days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granddaughter will have wonderful memories of gardening with her grandpa!
    Your place looks beautiful Larry with all the spring blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww . . . I'm a sucker for kids in the garden. My grandson loves to plant his own crops and gets to pick his own seeds. It's always interesting to see what he selects. I can't believe you've already got lettuce. I'm putting mine in tomorrow so it's going to be awhile. Your photos are wonderful. A lot of canola around here, too, but it won't bloom for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo with the hawk is stunning, I love the lighting and colors!
    Looks like a good time with the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If evolution is true and ongoing, a generation now one of our hands will be replaced by a smart phone, ha ha.

    Love the first wheat shot too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments