Friday, April 22, 2011

Sloppy Joes, Burgers, and Taters

Header - The whites and reds are in, the salmon is just opening.

I can’t remember if I’ve had a Sloppy Joe since I was a kid and definitely not in the 26 years I’ve been married to Bev as she doesn’t care for them. But when I saw Katherine’s recipe for Death By Sloppy Joe over at Smoky Mountain Café, I knew I’d waited long enough. When I mentioned them to Bev, she said she’d rather have a plain ole hamburger (she needs a regular burger fix) so I decided on both and made just a half recipe of the Sloppy Joe’s.

Since I followed Katherine’s recipe as written, you can just visit her site to have a look.

I have also been trying to work Jo Jo Potatoes into a meal since they were posted by Jenn from Jenn’s Food Journey. Again, Bev followed the recipe as written, so just stop by her place for a look.  This is my plate of a Sloppy Joe and taters - I probably should have added a piece of lettuce to make it health food, but I did add a slice of smoked Gouda.

The burgers were just your basic 5 ounces of ground chuck with a heavy coat of Montreal Steak Seasoning and grilled to pink over charcoal and topped with smoked Gouda. What makes them special is what Bev does once they’re off the grill, but she also raved about the burger taste.  I also did the garlic butter grilled buns for the burgers per Katherine's Sloppy Joe recipe.  This is Bev's plate using fresh from the garden lettuce - there's meat in there somewhere.
First let me comment about the Sloppy Joe's.  I can't imagine that I ever had a Sloppy Joe with more than a half dozen ingredients and Katherine's had 21, as best I could count, and it was worth every one of them - I thought they were outstanding and by far the best I ever had - dinner guest Kathy had a little on her burger and loved it.  I won't wait 26 more years for the next one and I won't make just a half recipe.

We all thought the potatoes were very good as well and will definitely make them again.  Bev decided to make a double recipe so I'd have plenty of leftovers but there were only 5 wedges left - but lots of coating remains.

Both the Sloppy Joes and the potatoes had some nice heat to them and my mouth was a little warm by meals end.  This was definitely an excellent meal and I thank Katherine and Jenn for posting the recipes.  My shots don't come close to doing justice to how good it was.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago: Next Stop - Korea
Larry

10 comments:

  1. Love your header! That is how azaleas are supposed to look. Not like my stupid ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Larry, your azaleas are beautiful. Ours here are very tiny because the deer nibble them in the fall like appetizers and the poor plants don't like that. In Mississippi we had very old azalea bushes they were almost as tall as trees.

    I'm with Bev. I need my burger fix every now and then, but I probably couldn't resist Katherine's Sloppy Joe either. Please pass the potatoes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DID NOT just make sloppy joes?! I've been craving them for a couple of months now and thanks to you I'll have to stir some up soon. I think I make them about once a year. I'll have to take a look at her recipe. Absolutely beuatiful header photo. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm those sloppy joes sound delicious! I'm pretty sure my mom used to make them from a mix when I was a kid...but I'd much rather have this more adult version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore sloppy joes...loved them as a kid and love them as an adult!
    And the potatoes...glad you enjoyed them.. they have become our favorite.. I think I've made them like 5 times since I posted it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum.... You are killing me, Larry, since I'm on a diet --and can't have all of those carbs now... Darn!!!!!! ha

    We went to Fall Creek Falls yesterday... Gorgeous.. The waterfalls were really flowing due to all of the rain.

    Happy Easter.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had my eye on Jenn's jo jo recipe... glad to know they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy had my idea! A sloppy joe topped burger, yum. Wonder if I can make a "Jucy Lucy" style burger with sloppy joe stuffed inside....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought my hubster would eat sloppy joes, either, but when I first made them about a year ago, he wolfed them down! I've made them several times since, always with home made rolls. Glad you've gotten to enjoy them again!

    Happy Easter, Larry and Bev. Enjoy your red and white flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are way better than mine. I am so glad you enjoyed the Sloppy Joes. We think they rule. It's the kid in us - lol

    Happy Easter toyou and Bev!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments