Friday, September 24, 2010

WV Trip Continues

WVU won over Maryland, but Tennessee lost to Florida, although the Vols played better than the week before – new coach, new system so we shouldn’t expect a great season.

As you know from previous posts, I’m growing a few of my own mushrooms, but the night before we left on the trip, I was out wandering around and found this feller growing in the landscaping. I don’t know why there, unless it was growing on a root from a tree that was cut down a few years ago – size 12 sandal beside it.



My cousin does a little mushroom hunting so I took it with me in hopes he might recognize it and declare it edible. Unfortunately he didn’t know what it was, so into the woods it went – I just hope I didn’t toss a big sample of one of the worlds rarest and best tasting mushrooms. I’ll do some research when I get back and see if I can figure it out – I need to befriend a mushroom hunting expert to take me out into the woods and teach me.

When we arrived, mid afternoon, at my cousin’s home (Dick & Ruth), Ruth was baking some stuffed peppers for football watching snacks. She used their Hungarian wax peppers, prepared per the recipe below - they were delicious, with just the right amount of heat, which can be varied by type and preparation of peppers.


Hot Baked Peppers, Ruth Hawkins, 2010
8-10 small hot peppers
8 oz cream cheese
¾ lb hot Italian sausage, browned and drained of fat
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ -1 cup shredded jack and colby or mozzarella cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 400*
Remove top from peppers, slit one side and remove seeds
Mix cream cheese, sausage, and parmesan and stuff into peppers
Bake covered for 30 minutes
Remove, sprinkle with topping cheese and bake covered for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese melts.

Then for supper, it was cabbage rolls made with their homegrown and very sweet cabbage – something she does different is cook them with kraut along with tomatoes. She sided them with salad and mashed potatoes to put the pot juices on, which I added to mine after taking the photo.


They reheated very well for breakfast the next morning and again for lunch. Ruth is a great cook and eating her meals is always one of the highlights of the trip.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

7 comments:

  1. That is one strange looking mushroom Larry. Sounds like you have been eating well. I love stuffed cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you, I need to befriend a mushroom expert. I know nothing. I am going to be a pepper stuffing fool this fall. Another great idea with all of those wonderful cheeses. And onmy those cabbage rolls and mashed potatoes look wonderful. Never made them and I've been wanting to. Wish I had cousin Ruth in my kitchen for consultation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to having a mushroom friend. I run across mushrooms often and cannot identify a single one to determine if they are edible.

    Love cabbage rolls. I grew up eating them often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with that huge mushroom!

    The stuffed peppers look and sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know Doggy Bloggy over at Chez What? He's big on the whole mushroom hunting thing. I mean, he finds them in NYC, for pity's sake! Anyway, stop by and ask him to come look at your picture and see if he knows what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hen of the woods - a choice edible - see how it looks like a wild chicken -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those peppers look good but man oh man those cabbage rolls made me drool. I love those things but hardly ever make them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments