Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tomato Clafoutis – Sorta

After spending the previous day driving back from northern West Virginia, doing vacation eating for a week, and spending the day catching up around Almost Heaven South, we decided something easy and not too awfully heavy would be in order. It just so happened that one of the first posts I read that morning was from Mary over at One Perfect Bite. She posted a recipe for tomato clafoutis and it fit right in with some things we had on hand. We had some Mornay sauce left from recent Kentucky hot browns, which seemed close enough to the recipe’s cream and parmesan requirement and we had a lot of ripe paste tomatoes. Mary commented that her maters could have looked better, but ours were even worse. By the time I cut out the bad places and seeded them, they barely resembled tomatoes, so I decided to just give them a rough chop and mix with the egg mixture prior to adding to the dish. So I guess we ended up with a frittata rather than a clafoutis.





It fit the bill perfectly, providing a light and tasty meal – we ate the whole thing.  I think this works well for any meal of the day.

Thanks Mary for the inspiration.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

6 comments:

  1. I too saw Mary's tomato clafoutis and made a note to give it a try. Looks like it made a fine breakfast. Not everything has to turn out beautiful to taste good does it? I would have no problem eating my share.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, mornay sauce makes anything taste good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Looks good to me! Yum! You are the master of making do with what you have on hand... Waste not, want not! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam - I'm sure you'll like it.

    Chris - I agree with you on the mornay sauce. We have another dish lined up for the last of it.

    Thanks Dave - I've always been a leftovers guy, but I now enjoy doing more than just reheating them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say it looks good. I've never heard of it before but I think I would eat it no problem.
    I will have to check it out. Looks kinda like a quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, guy! This was so nice of you. Thanks for the link love. It really is appreciated. Have a fabulous day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments