Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shrimp And Fish Hoagie, Sub, Po’ Boy

If you’re watching your figure, skip this post.

It’s funny that in the same country a 6-8” oblong sandwich can have so many names. In the areas I’ve lived, they’ve either been hoagies or subs and I remember when I first heard of po’ boys I thought there was something about what went on them that led to the different name. Then a place in Maryville began selling pizza and grinders and I was confused again. So not to long ago, I did a search on hoagie and Wikipedia came back with this first sentence: “A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, grinder, hero, hoagie, Italian sandwich, po' boy, wedge, zep, torpedo, bocadillo or roll, is a sandwich that consists of an oblong roll, often of Italian, Spanish or French bread, split lengthwise either into two pieces or opened in a "V" on one side, and filled with various meats, cheeses, vegetables, seasonings, and sauces.” Confusion gone – it is the English language in multi-cultured America after all, except I’ve always considered a sub to be twice as long as a hoagie.

Since we had the rolls on hand, and enough fish left from last nights dinner, it had to be po’ boys for supper – the po’ boy name seems to fit fish better than the other names. Since we only had enough crappie for two sandwichs, we got out some frozen shrimp to supplement and ended up making each sandwich two thirds fish and one third shrimp. This was going to be a good test as the leftover fish was already battered from the night before and the batter we used on the shrimp was also left over.

The toppings/condiments available to select from were cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, onion, tarter sauce, mustard, and mayo.


Since we had plenty of batter, Bev decided to try it on some onion rings. Here’s a shot of everything ready to eat.


This is my plate and the sandwich was crazy good. We’re heading off to New Orleans in the near future so it will be interesting how these compare to theirs.


I couldn’t tell any difference in the fish from the night before and the shrimp was great as well, but the onion rings shed a lot of their breading. I’m thinking for them it’s just a soak in buttermilk then seasoned coating blend – please send me the recipe that you like.

Have a great day and thans for stopping by.

Larry

10 comments:

  1. Larry those look excellent! I've got to try your fish recipe.. it looks killer. :)
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those yellow tomatoes are beautiful! I need to try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Those po' boys look amazing but the onion rings are making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in "grinder" country, and refuse to call them anything else. But watching the history channel one night (I know we share that pastime), I discovered that the boys who used to walk along the Erie Canal beside the barges, guiding the mules that pulled the barges, were called "hoagies". I'm guessing that's somehow the origin of the name. These sandwiches do sound crazy good, and Po'Boy does sound like the right name for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I call em hoagies. I like to saute onions, peppers and couple that with shredded chicken in a balsamic barbeque sauce. Try your onion rings in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Helps make the breading stick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can never pronounce Po boys. My mouth insists on adding the "r" turning it into poor boys. Hence, I just stick to subs since I grew up in the middle of Kansas and knew only that. This whole thing looks incredible Larry! I had my first true Po boy in Winney Texas, just a few miles from the Louisiana border. The only difference I could see was the brilliant idea of adding breaded shrimp to a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea about all those variations of the names! A language lesson and a gorgeous recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, it can be confusing calling a sandwich 10 different names! When I think of a po'boy, I think New Orleans, seafood or roast beef w/ debris.

    Wish I could help you with the onion rings but we are just about to try that out this weekend. I think we're going to try a batter/panko combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My.... I love that meal... Homemade onion rings are the best... I just love to smell them cooking... YUM!!!!

    I love New Orleans Po-boys---probably best of all. But --yours must be just as good!!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We called them subs and I loved them - but I never had fried fish in one. I'm sure I'd like it, I loved fried fish tacos the first time I ever tasted them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments