Monday, September 13, 2010

New Orleans – Day Six, French Market

Well we finally made down to the French Quarter this day. We started the day with breakfast at the Trolley Stop , a couple of blocks from the condo, which is espoused to have the best breakfast in NOLA. Bev had corned beef hash and I had chicken fried steak – both meals were ok, but no wow factor. We're going to have to quit cooking at home so we won't be so picky when we go out.

We then caught the three trolleys needed to get down to the French Market. The ride was interesting, but we spent lots of time waiting. The drivers were all very helpful directing us to where we needed to be even letting us off between stops when we didn’t know to get off. This is the outside and inside of the St. Charles car.



And the outside of the Canal Street car - it is nicer than the first one - I assume becauses it's in the tourist district.


Bev wandered through the market for an hour or so while I warmed a few benches and shockingly, she didn’t buy a thing – it reminded me of a typical flea market with very few things I’d want, but many items looked to be hand made. They did have a few commercial booths such as this one for Louisianna brand products.


and I picked up a bottle of Steens Pure Cane Syrup which I’d been unable to find at home. We then walked around the area, including Jackson Square and found ourselves getting hot – no rain today but very humid.

So we stopped in a little bar on the corner, I believe it was called Daiquiri’s, for a margarita for me and a hurricane for Bev. Since we were the only customers, we enjoyed spending time chatting with the young bartender with a big smile and great personality. I believe the Hurricanes are famous, but it just tasted like Hawaiian Punch to me. Later, we went to the recommended Gumbo Shop for jambalaya and gumbo.


Bev’s gumbo was good, but I was disappointed in the jambalaya as it was pretty much just a bowl of seasoned rice with a very little meat in it. I think it was Creole since it had tomatoes in it. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like but when I make some it's going to be more like Chez’s version at Fat Johnny’s Front Porch - more like what I was expecting to get. From what we were told, during busy times the customers are lined up down the sidewalk waiting for a table. We’re not very good tourists as I just won’t do that, but I understood it more at Willie Maes for their chicken.

The structures in the Quarter amazed me – what was a run down 200+ year old outside façade was a nice restaurant inside – kinda reminded me of Europe. If you didn’t know better, you’d think you were in the slums and be afraid to walk the streets or go in any of the businesses – but I guess that’s the charm of it all. When we had driven around the area on Saturday, even in the rain, there were lots of people, but we pretty well had the place to ourselves on Tuesday. This fellow was hoping for a customer.


Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

9 comments:

  1. My husband absolutely loves it when I can't find anything to spend money on when we go to places like that market.

    I sympathize with you when you say, "we're going to have to quit cooking at home so we won't be so picky when we go out." It's so true. And we won't stand in a line that goes around the corner for a table either. Do you think we're spoiled?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting bad when you can outcook NOLA . . . but I understand completely. (Not that I'm all that great of a cook)
    Loved seeing the inside of a trolley car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam and Vickie - Thanks for comments. I believe I grew up in a generation and family that provided really good home cooked meals and my expectations ended up higher - maybe too high. Many in the later generations didn't have that experience and may consider anything better than McDonalds to be good food. I'm definitely spoiled, in more ways than one :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you go to Cafe du Monde? They have the best beignets ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The locals down in Nawlins call them streetcars --instead of trolleys... Two of my sons went to school (on St. Charles Ave) on a streetcar... Not many kids get to do that...

    Hope you rode the streetcar down past Tulane and Audubon Park and had breakfast (or something) at the Camillia Grill....

    I've been to that Gumbo place--or one like it. Things have changed since Katrina. I have a blog friend who sells things at the Market in Nawlins every Saturday... They drive there from Tellico to do that...

    There used to be some fabulous homes hidden behind the main streets in the French Quarter.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures! Love your trolleys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Larry, youre' right, the Canl Street, Street Car has newer cars than the St. Charles line. The St. Charles line has been running continuously since about 1860, so the cars are about 150 years old. The Canal Street line was re-introduced in 2004 and the city purchased them from Melbourne, Austraila, the cars are circa 1923-1924. = )

    The streetcars are a great way to see the city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We stayed in a beautiful little boutique hotel in the French Quarter and took that Street car when we visited Garden District. I'm not great with cooking cajun/creole because we can't find good ingredients here in Denver, but it seemed everything we tried was out-of-this-world. However, we did eat the famous known for cajun cuisine restaurants. I'm wondering if this little place just didn't have it together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to beat your own cooking, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments