Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Greek Grilled Shrimp Salad

Back to real time again. After getting home from NOLA and getting on the scales, we decided a little healthier eating was an absolute must. I had a recipe for Greek grilled shrimp I’d been wanting to try and it seemed like a good use of our first batch of fresh shrimp and laying atop a nice Greek salad seemed like a good way to eat them. For the shrimp, I used the recipe from Food.com:

Ingredients

· 2 lbs cleaned large shrimp
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 teaspoon course sea salt
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
· 1 tablespoon oregano
· 1 garlic clove

Directions

Put all ingredients in a bowl (I used a plastic bag) and marinate for 15-20 minutes. Thread onto skewers and cook to your desired doneness.

For salad, we made the dressing from the directions for Penzeys Greek Salad Dressing spice mix, but used Cavanders Greek Seasoning instead.

2 tbsp Water
2 tbsp Cavanders
¼ cup Olive oil
¼ cup Salad oil
1/3 cup Red wine vinegar

Mix the water and Cavanders and let stand for 10 minutes. Then mix everything and shake well. Bev made her usual nice salad of fresh greens, red onion, green and ripe olives, cucumber, grated romano, and feta cheese.


Here’s the finished dish.



The addition of garlic cheese bread set the healthy eating back a little, but it was delicious. The marinade has big flavors and might need bigger shrimp to mute them for some tastes, but I loved them and thought they worked well on the Greek salad. I’d definitely have this meal again and gladly pay for it in a restaurant.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

9 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite meals. I don't think there is a more flavorful combination of ingredients. One of these days I'll have to try Penzeys dressing mix. I've read that it's good on other blogs as well.

    You've got me craving salad for breakfast, Big Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want to hate me? I lose weight on vacation because I don't pick throughout the day. Does that mean I can't have some of your shrimp salad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking salad, Larry. I consider garlic bread "health food", garlic is good for you right? (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking salad, Larry. It sounds delicious that's for sure. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. great seasoning for the shrimp, and what a wonderful salad to serve them on....just an explosion of flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA---Yes, it's hard to watch your diet when in Nawlins.... Been there---done that!!!! ha ha

    Your shrimp salad sounds incredible.... Next time, don't add the toast... ha (Listen to ME talking!!!! Duh!)
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you got on those scales! :-) You should have waited another week! Beautiful salad. My mom introduced me to Cavenders years ago. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful salad and what an endorsement! If you'd pay to eat it in a restaraunt, I know it's good! I've been using Cavenders for years, too, but never in a vinegrette. (I'll be changing that)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments