Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Finally Some Mushrooms

I’m so excited because of what Bev called me outside to show me, but let me back up. I searched, but couldn’t find where I’d ever blogged about this, but sometime last year, I inoculated six logs with three kinds of mushrooms – Maitake, Shiitake, and Pearl Oyster. I drilled about 300 hundred holes in six logs, drove in the inoculated plugs I bought from Fungi Perfect, and sealed the holes and log ends with bees wax. I’d been checking on them regularly but not much was happening until today. I don’t know how fast they grow, and most of these got too big, but while we were off to NOLA, we got our first shiitakes - that's a dinner plate they're on. I'll try to remember to get a photo on the log next time.


I haven't seen anything out of the other two varieties and I think it's due to their location. I'll move them to the shiitake area where there is more shade and they get more water from the sprinkler system. I checked pictures of them in a couple of places and when I was satisfied they were the real thing, I ate a raw one and didn't die, so they're good to go.

For breakfast the next morning, I cut up one of the smaller ones and sautéed it in olive oil. I can’t remember if I’ve had fresh shiitake’s before but they are flavorful and don’t shrink up as much as button mushrooms.


I poured in a couple of beaten eggs to which I’d added a few shots of Tabasco Garlic Sauce and some Tillamook cheddar. Here’s the finished dish, sided with a piece of the green onion sausage from NOLA - I split and grilled it, then shared with Bev after I took the picture.


Good start to the day I'd say. Have a good one and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

9 comments:

  1. How crazy fun to grow your own mushrooms! Wonder if Colorado is a good climate for inoculation? Probably not, we're such a high plains desert climate. What a great breakfast, home grown mushrooms, eggs with some vacation sauce and that sausage! I must say Larry, I'm officially jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home scavenged mushrooms! How fun! I love what you've done with them. This is some seriously local eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how I love growing my own, or making my own . . . this would be crazy exciting for me! I want some pictures of them growing. I think they'd do well here - we have dozens of varieties of mushrooms that grow in my yard alone. Where did you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if they can be grown anywhere, but they must be kept moist. I have the logs in the shade and where they get regular watering from our sprinkler system. They can also be soaked in a tub of water as needed to keep them moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful mushrooms Larry..your feast looks mighty tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I'm not a fan of mushrooms. I call them fungus. But I'm very glad you enjoy them! My dearly beloved and many of my kids would be jealous of your bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow--- I don't think I would ever try that... I love mushrooms --and we have alot of them around here --after the rains... But they aren't the 'eating' kind....

    Good Luck. I'm sure they are delicious.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, growing your own 'shrooms, that rocks. Have you ever gone by the "Everything Mushrooms" place here in town? I wonder if they have these plugs.

    Very impressed, Larry, nice job.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments