Monday, April 5, 2010

Fresh Asparagus Coming

I made a quick 7 hour trip over to Asheville, NC and back on Saturday to hook up with Alex’s other grandmother so they could spend part of her spring break together. When I got home, Bev had a couple of steaks laid out and I suggested we needed to eat the remainder of the store bought asparagus from the frig, because the good stuff is here. There are several sticking through the ground, but this is the tallest. I obviously need to do a little hoeing.


They start out slow and early on, we have to save several days worth to make a meal, but soon I’ll have to give it away. I think I’ve said this before, but if you like asparagus and you ever get the opportunity to get some that’s fresh picked – buy it. The only downside is that it will spoil you when you eat the flavorful, tender, creamy, fresh shoots. I think I can feel an omelet, or something, with the new stuff coming on.

We just grilled the old stuff along with the steaks and here’s a couple of shots.



The steaks turned out really good and I've confirmed that I prefer steamed to grilled asparagus.

The title pic is Sweetie with her new spring haircut. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, Larry! Thanks for posting the little shoots of asparagus, too. I just bought some roots to start an asparagus patch and cannot WAIT to have so much I have to give it away. Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a few plants on the side of the house, can't wait for them to pop up. Those steaks look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never attempted to grow asparagus. How funny it is to see that growing out of the ground like that!! So you buy them as roots? I don't think I've ever seen any kind of plants/roots for sale around this area of the south. I've heard it takes several years to establish a good bed anyway - too much work for me I guess LOL!

    I am happy that asparagus is in season right now though, and have definite plans to load up with some from the grocery store and freeze them while the prices are a little more reasonable.

    Steaks look great! Can you believe The Cajun makes me grill his steak WELL DONE?? Blasphemy!!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, It's alot harder to get to and from to Asheville these days without I-40 being available, isn't it?????

    When are you all going to Serenity Falls????

    I'd love your asparagus...

    Have a great Monday.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, the food looks great... But what did you do to that dog???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking "7 hours to Asheville?" but then I remember I40 is still out from the rock slide.

    I've never had fresh picked asparagus but can only imagine how good it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie looks like she's lost weight since last summer. Maybe all the playing with Coco is a good thing for her. :)

    Sign me up for fresh asparagus soon! So long as I don't have to try and keep up with the asparagus patch for just me. That's...too much asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever try sauteeing your asparagus in butter with lots of ground pepper? That's my favorite way to have it.

    I never grew asparagus. My grandmother did, for a couple of years, but she was the gardener extraordinaire! I'm just lazy. I admire you for planting asparagus and waiting for it. I seem to recall it took a couple of years before you got anything.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments