Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shepherds Chili Pie

When I made the brisket chili Tuesday, my original plan was to use some of the meat in a brisket shepherds pie, but I decided I needed it all in the chili. However, I still had the garlic mashed potatoes from Sunday and still wanted to put them atop a meat dish, so I warmed some of them up in the micro wave with a little extra milk and topped a dish of preheated chili with them. Rather than thicken the chili, I just regulated the amount of liquid I put in the bowls so it would be firm enough to allow for spreading on the taters. I stuck them in a 350* oven for 15 minutes then added a little shredded cheese (didn’t have any green onions) and stuck back in the oven until the cheese melted and wal la – Shepherds Chili Pie or Chili Shepherds Pie or Pie of Chili’s Shepherd or whatever. I’m trying to emulate ole Chez over at Fat Johnny’s Front Porch who’s cooking style is to see what he has on hand and create something special from it. Here they are getting the Cabot cheddar cheese addition - yellow would have looked better, but this is what we had.



Here's my bowl just out of the oven.



This is my bowl after a couple of bites. As you can see, the chili is still pretty soupy, but it still worked well and tasted delicious - I'll definately do this again.


One final thought from watching the Olympics yesterday afternoon. I admit to being an old traditionalists who has always thought the Olympics were supposed to be athletic competitions, so I have a difficult time seeing sliding a rock down ice and walking along and sweeping the ice in front of it with brooms as an athletic competition – compared to the downhill or moguls or cross county skiing? The shuffleboard players and geriatric Olympians would likely yell h*** yes it is. I have similar thoughts on some of the summer events as well - badmitten? Aren’t blogs great? :)

Have a great day and I enjoy your comments.

Larry

15 comments:

  1. Mmmmm..... doesn't get any better than that!! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili topped with mashed potatoes. Now that's my idea of comfort food. For my taste I prefer a chili that isn't too thick. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... this is one bowl full of goodness! Where's my spoon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, these look terrific, never heard of this before, but now pondering it

    And i love curling... I'm hooked

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to dress up a bowl of chili! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an over the top way to serve chili. I can't wait to try this, my husband and I would really enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to tell you - this is my all-time favorite post of yours. This looks delicious and the photos perfectly capture the magic of melted cheese. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen this done before, but, by George, you've done it. I'm seriously considering having a go at this. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice, bigdude ... you startin' to think like a chef! nothin' better than creatin' something from nothing. i'd pay good money for a bowl of that ... specially on a cold, snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all of the nice comments - this is a step out of the box for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Larry. This looks good. And LOL, we've watched curling for the past two afternoons, it seems to me that this falls in the category of darts and bowling and should involve beer. Now with all that said, I did find myself actually gasping at one of the close shots. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum--the Chili Pie looks delicious...

    I watch the Olympics at NIGHTS--during primetime, so I haven't seen some of the weird sport events. I am loving what I'm seeing at nights.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative, I love it. I did a breakfast shepherds pie with grits and sausage once.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Looks great. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks really delicious! I'm with you on some of the events - but then, I've never tried them and I might be apt to change my mind if I ever did, who knows?!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments