Wednesday, February 24, 2010

BLT For Breakfast

Sorry about not posting anything yesterday- had nothing of interest to write about. As retirees, Bev and I are able to enjoy flexible sleeping habits, but in general I go to bed in the 9-10pm range and get up 5-6am, while Bev turns in around 11pm and gets up 8:30-9am. So it was unusual, and a pleasant surprise, when she wandered out this morning at 7:45 donned in her stay-up clothes. For breakfast, I fix my own before she gets up about half the time and wait for her to get up to fix it the rest of the time.

I had already decided what I was going to fix for myself today and had already been working on my blog article. That all went out the window though as the smell of bacon was soon permeating the house and as I was leaving to take Alex to school, she advised she was in the mood for a BLT and I said, I’ll have that – my mama didn’t raise no dummies. Bev is the sandwich queen as she’ll always go the extra mile to make them special.

At Almost Heaven South, a BLT nearly always includes a fried egg, so it perhaps should be called a fried egg sandwich with bacon, lettuce, onion, and tomato and in this case a slice of Cabot cheddar and of course some mayo all between two slices of homemade bread. Rather than prattling on – a picture is worth a thousand words.



What I planned to eat would have been good, but not sure it could have topped this.

While winter has returned, our wildflower patch will soon look like the title photo. Have a great day and I enjoy your comments.

Larry

9 comments:

  1. I'll take one of those sandwiches, anytime of day! I hadn't thought of adding an egg to this sandwich, bit you can be sure I will next time!

    I can't wait for spring, it has been so much colder this year than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a blt for breakfast this past weekend. Love them! I usually have them more regularly during the summer with fresh tomatoes from the garden. I took a photo of mine (eggless and toasted bread) and was going to sneak it into a post. I think it makes for a delicious breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, I think a BLT is the most perfect sandwich ever made. You can never go wrong morning, noon or night. But I have to say with your additions to this classic, you have created a spectacular sandwich.

    Thanks for the great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always told breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So breakfast should be substantial and special. You get an A+ for starting the day out right! Give it to Bev! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great looking breakfast! I just had a FiberOne bar. I need to start coming to your house for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous... sorry I haven't been around for awhile, I moved to the US Virgin Islands (I still giggle when I say that) for six months, and it is taking awhile to get settled. But i do think I am caught up, and will be back with new postings...

    Come take a look at my new blogs of Island life!

    GREAT SANDWICH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to start the day off!!!! I love BLT's and the egg? Why that just makes it all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy sandwich! One of my all time favorites too. In the Caribbean, they always put an egg in their BLT's. Never figured out why, but I sure got used to it on various vacations. For some reason, I never do it here.
    Oh yeah, that photo is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE a fried egg BLT - on toast, with a bit of mayo, lettuce and tomato - salt & pepper, hello YUM!! I absolutely blogged about mine. :)

    Picked that sandwich up in my (much) younger "party" years ... would grab one first thing in the morning at the drug store soda fountain on my way into work after a long night out dancing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments