Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Smoky Mountain Shepherds Pie Ala Katherine

How could a meal made with bacon, beef, mushrooms and mashed potatoes not be delicious and Katherine’s version over at Smoky Mountain Café, looked and sounded especially appetizing. I’d previously mentioned that the granddaughter is a little weird about her eating and when I said I’d found the perfect dish of things she likes – hamburger, mushrooms, and mashed potatoes - her reaction was “all mixed together, yuck” - maybe that’s just a typical 12 year old. So the plan became to make the Shepherds Pie for us and serve hers as individual ingredients.

I made it just as the recipe specifies with one addition – I like peas in mine even though they don’t fit into the end of season concoction that normally goes into the dish. I like them more for the color than anything and to make sure the color stood out, I cooked then a little and mixed them in the taters rather than the meat mixture. For how-to pics, check Katherine’s blog as they are excellent shots and mine sure wouldn’t add anything. Here is a shot of mine before going into the oven.


This is my serving - I ended up with a little too much liquid. I either didn't cook the onions and mushrooms enough or maybe the sauce wasn't thick enough. At any rate, it was outstanding and I'll definately make it again.


And this is Shepherds Pie Ala Alex.


Thanks Katherine for a great meal. Since I'm a recipe follower more than a creator, I love having access to all you bloggers great food inventions.

Have a great day and I enjoy your comments and don't hesitate to give me your suggestions.

Larry

8 comments:

  1. Larry, Shepherd's Pie is one of my favorite "go-to" comfort foods during the cold days of winter. And like you, I put peas in mine, too.

    This all looks terrific, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious, Larry... I have had Shepherd's Pie in past and enjoyed it. I may have to try it again sometime.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a Shepherd's Pie in a long time. My husband is the same way - he likes all of those things but "not mixed together!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shepherd's pie - and my recipe is simular but has more veggies in it. I love the idea of bacon on top - will have to try that. Looks tasty and I know the guys would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever had shepherd's pie - crazy! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine always rocks the kitchen. I've been working some ideas for doing a East TN fun cook event this summer, maybe at my office. We've got a lot of area bloggers, bbqrs, and I'd love to get us all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Larry, thank you so much for the shout out and I'm glad you liked this...this is one of our mainstays. I can't show this post to my daughter, Lauren, or she'll make me do the separate thing too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments