Saturday, August 31, 2024

Spam Lite Three Ways

I’m confident you remember that in April of 2023, I conducted a Spam (Hormel) vs. Treet (Armour) taste test and my conclusion was that they were both way too salty.  Three months later  Big Daddy Dave did a post about Spam Lite which contains 25% less salt so I bought a can of it to try.

So, here we are 13 months later and I decided it was time to give it a try beginning with a fried Spam sandwich adorned with mayo, diced onion, tomato, and lettuce.  Onion Tip – Rather than slices, dice the onion and put it on the layer of mayo which evenly distributes it and holds it in place.



Then for breakfast the next morning, it was a Spam scramble - two slices Spam that were fried then diced, two beaten eggs and shredded cheddar.

And for the final meal, I opted for a Spam McMuffin composed of fried Spam, an egg  and coby jack cheese.  The engineer in me wanted to cut everything to just fit the muffin but I resisted.


The Verdict:

The Spam lite was obviously less salty when I ate just a piece of it.  The sandwich was delicious but it could have used thicker pieces of Spam.  The two breakfast meals were both very good and I actually added some salt - I may need to have an annual Spam-A-Thon with Hawaiian dishes but I’ll stay with Kentucky Legends Ham as my normal go-to for now.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/22- 8/24/24 meal dates

4 comments:

  1. Love the spam McMuffin. I had never had Spam until a few years ago. Bob bought some and upon one bite, I said that it tasted like pure salt. No other flavor. So I banned it from the house. I'll let him know there's a new Spam Lite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had Spam and probably never will. Just doesn't sound good. Like grits. Guess I am a little strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, Thanks for the link! I'll have to put together a sandwich like your first creation with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Looks really good. But, that Spam Lite McMuffin looks like pure artery clogging bliss! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids loved eating spam musubi when we traveled to Hawaii. I was never a big fan of spam and haven't eaten it since I was a kid, but your dishes make it look pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments