Tuesday, March 26, 2024

There’s Egg Salad Then There’s This

As I’ve posted many times, we buy our eggs from a local couple so we can get the best ones possible.  Their chickens were on strike most of the winter forcing us to buy from the store but they have now began laying with a vengeance and we’re being offered 10 dozen pretty regularly.  So, this time, I found homes for several dozen and decided to turn one doz. into egg salad.  We have used several recipes for egg salad over the years including a couple of Masters Tournament clones (I’d think there could only be one), your recipes, and our normal where Bev just makes it to taste.

As I was looking thru my blog, I came across a post where Bev had made a breakfast pizza using naan bread, egg salad, and other stuff including sausage and this got me thinking.  Why not kick up the egg salad directly so I went in search of ideas.  Things I decided it needed to include were eggs, bacon, shredded cheddar, mayo, Dijon, onion, & celery.

Kicked Up Egg Salad

Ingredients:

12 large hard boiled large eggs

¾ cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp pepper

3 tbsp. finely diced sweet onion

1½ rib celery, finely diced

7 slices bacon

½ cup shredded sharp cheddar

Instructions:

Cover eggs with water, bring to a boil, then turn off heat, cover and steep for 10 minutes.  Add eggs to cold water.

While the eggs are cooking fry the bacon to your desired preferred doness – crispy for me. Chop and set aside.

Peel eggs or for fresh ones (like we have), just cut them in half crosswise and scoop the egg out of the shell.

Chop the eggs to your desired size using a knife – I like them kinda big.

Mix the mayo, mustard, onion, celery, cheese, S&P, and bacon

Fold in the eggs until well combined.

For a sandwich, serve on very soft bread or it will squirt out, as this one did, add more mayo or mustard if desired, and some lettuce, that I forgot.

The Verdict:

Best egg salad I ever had.  The not-a fan-of-egg-salad Bev thought it was very good – high praise.

Next time around, I may experiment with adding dill pickle, dried dill, green onion, or parsley.

After a store visit, Bev bought some soft pumpernickel bread and made her a sandwich.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/22/24 event date

6 comments:

  1. I love marble rye with egg salad, and all the ingredients sound good for a sammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good egg salad sandwich. Trying this one soon. Everything is better with bacon. And I think I'll try that rye bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I just made hard boiled eggs yesterday for potato salad but now I want egg salad. I like dill and dill pickle in mine too.

    I'm not sure why you are having problems with commenting, I' haven't had anyone else mention having a problem. Ugh! Wordpress has been such a pain lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of a good egg salad. I have one of those friends who has chickens and the eggs are amazing. Anytime I have to go to the store to purchase eggs it feels criminal (laugh).
    Thanks for your comment on my post about my visit to the Lodi region. This region is mostly farmers who grow grapes but, these guys are making amazing small batch wines that are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious! I'd love to try it for a change up. I like my egg salad with just celery seed, S&P, and a little mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, Laurie loves egg salad and she orders it whenever possible. For some reason we've never made it at home...don't know why. The recipe you provided sounds good sans the onions and perhaps with a touch more Dijon mustard. I'll have to talk to Laurie about this. She gets out of her cast on Tuesday and will be in a walking boot for 2 more weeks...but at least she'll be able to move around. Not good at being stuck in her chair or a wheelchair. This process was the culmination of her ankle break 2 years ago...they had to take out the plate and screws this time. Hope y'all had a great Easter weekend. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments