Monday, August 1, 2022

Kennedy Quiche Frittata Then Brisket For A Delicious Breakfast

Over the years, we have made this quiche several times, especially when we have extra tomatoes, but I can’t find that I ever blogged about it.  The recipe came from our local newspaper many years ago and I could only find it on-line in one place but it was supposedly a favorite of John Kennedy.

Since we are all watching our calories, we decided to make it as a frittata and forgo the pie crust, even though it’s my favorite part.  The recipe below is for the quiche but for the frittata I just amended step 6.

Kennedy Frittata

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. olive oil

½ c. onion chopped

½ c. green pepper chopped

2 c. tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tbsp. pimientos or roasted red pepper, chopped

1 tsp. salt

¾ tsp. pepper

½ c. smoked ham (about 2 ounces), finely diced

4 eggs

1½ c. whipping cream (see note)

1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

1 (10 inch) Partially baked pie shell or six 4” shells

Note: I didn’t think to check our supply of heavy cream and all we had was a cup of half n half so I added a couple of extra eggs.  The amazing part was the half n half had a 1/31/22 date on it but it was still good.

Directions:

1. In large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion; cook for 3 minutes.

2. Increase heat to medium high.  Add green pepper; cook stirring often, for 2 minutes.

3. Add tomatoes, garlic, pimentos, salt, & pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Stir in ham.  Remove from heat and cool completely.

5. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, and cream; stir in cooled tomato mixture.

6. Pour into partially baked pie shell a greased pie dish and sprinkle with parsley. I forgot the parsley and added it for the last 10 minutes.

7. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 20 minutes or until set but still jiggly.  Since I didn’t have a crust that needed to bake, I cooked at 385F for 40 minutes and covered the top the last 10 minutes.


I sided mine with sliced tomato as ours are coming in and we need to eat them for every meal.

The Verdict:

As always, it was delicious and it worked well as a frittata but I sure missed the crust.  Bev thought it was not as creamy as when we used cream so we’ll make sure we have some for next time.  There was some water in the pan bottom and I don’t know if it came from using half n half or the tomatoes needed to be squeezed more, but with no crust to get soggy, it didn’t hurt anything.

I didn’t post much about it but we had plenty of leftovers from my recent brisket cook so I decided to try something new for breakfast.  I started with a slice of homemade bread to soak up any brisket juice and topped it with two slices of meat.

Then some sliced cheddar and chopped bacon and nuked for a minute.


It would have been delicious just like this but what makes everything better?  Yep a sunny side up egg and as expected it was pretty awesome, especially after I smeared the runny yolk over it all.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

07/21-7/22/22 meal dates

4 comments:

  1. Larry, That finished frittata is quite appealing...but then again, you know my food hang ups. That breakfast is perfect...something I'd go for in a minutes! Really satisfying... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks perfect, my dad would call it western eggs because of the ingredients no idea why but this reminds me of it from the 60s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I love a good frittata and this one has tasty ingredients. Of course your brisket egg sandwich is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The frittata looks good. And oh, those ripe homegrown tomatoes on the side, delicious. It's hard forgoing the crust but healthier. Your breakfast brisket sandwich is a good start to the day.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments