Sunday, June 12, 2016

Apple Annie’s in Pt. Marion

Point Marion, PA sets on a point at the junction of the Monongahela and Cheat Rivers in southwestern PA and is just over the border from WV – I didn’t know until today why it was called Pt. Marion, even though I’ve heard of the town my entire life.  Other than sitting at the river confluence, I’m not sure why Pt. Marion exists and it is obviously not a highly prosperous community of about 1000 residents.

But it does have Apple Annie's and while visiting relatives in WV, my cousins suggested we make the 30 minute drive for lunch.  This is Bev and my cousin (his wife hide) before we entered the restaurant and a shot of the inside (from the web), which is larger than I thought it would be.





It is in a former home and has been in business for about 20 years and it was pretty busy while we were there.  Everyone ordered something different and the only good shot was my chicken fried steak ( "country fried steak" on their menu) and it came with white gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and slaw.


I thought it was pretty good considering we were in southwestern PA – not exactly the hotbed for this dish and the others enjoyed their meals as well.  So it was an interesting and unique venue and the food was good but their claim to fame has got to be the desserts which were huge and delicious.  I’ didn’t get a good shot of an individual serving but it was one fourth of this pretty big cake or one fifth of a pie, each for $3.50  - ridiculously low.


You may not likely be in the area, but if you ever are, Apple Annie's is the place to eat.  After that we drove across the campus of my WVU alma mater and I was shocked at how much things had changed with new construction.  Always good to visit the old stomping grounds.

On another subject, I’ve often written about trying to clean out the freezer but I’ve now seen the ultimate packed one.  This is the freezer above a friends fridge and their full upright freezer looks just the same.  I believe they could eat from them everyday for at least a year.  It sure made me feel better about the stuff in mine but worse about my ability to really pack a freezer J


Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/9/16 event date

8 comments:

  1. Apple Annie's sounds like the place to go, if you like deserts.
    That freezer looks like the one in our rig minus the ice cubes (no room)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, As you might suspect, Apple Annie's is the kind of place that we love to find. Good looking dinner and I would have to indulge in the baked goodies! They really did pack that freezer... Ours looks like Death Valley in comparison. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chicken fried steak served with a bucket of gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is one packed freezer. Love chicken fried steak, I haven't had it for WAY too long, and now I have a huge craving for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So....you have a new project for when you get home: learn how to pack a freezer? Always good to have a local help you find the best eateries. Those cakes look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks like my house too! My freezer isnt in order at all and I often have to throw things out because I didn't find it or rotate! wow! hits home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those mashed potatoes and that cake look awesome! But that freezer would drive me nuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at your friends freezer made me laugh, I wonder how they get something out of the middle without everything spilling out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments