Sunday, November 11, 2012

Redeye – Beer Turned Into Health Food

Most people know that cooked tomatoes are a great source of many good things for your body, such as lycopene.  And many people probably think of beer as a non-health food, even though it’s made from grain, flowers, and water.

So it stands to reason that one way to turn beer into an excellent health food is mix it with tomato juice – one can justify just about anything (watch our politicians for further examples).  I used 6oz. of our homemade juice with 12oz. of the beer I found in the fridge (use your favorite) and served in a frosted fishbowl.

I got hooked on this concoction while in college when my fraternity brothers had me order my first red eye at a Morgantown, WV hangout (name long forgotten) after our weekly chapter meeting – we needed something after dealing with all those weighty issues.
 
Some call it red beer and some call it tomato beer while others add hot sauce, worcestershire, etc. to make it bloddy mary like. While I don’t drink it often I still enjoy the occasional redeye or two, especially while watching a WVU football game – I’ve needed it to deaden the pain of their play lately.  Nothing like going from being ranked no. 5 and having the leading contender for the Heismen Trophy to becoming the joke of the Big 12 Conference - the head coach is obviously doing a great job.

TO THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND THOSE WHO NOW DO, THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING MY FREEDOM AND WAY OF LIFE.

I'm now responding to your comments and hoping you will stop back by - photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/10/12 event date

20 comments:

  1. Well, I was about to send out search and rescue...good to see a post from you.

    We just called it red beer. And I loved them. The last type of this I had was a Michelada. A Mexican version and I remember thinking, "why don't I drink more red beers"? Maybe if you hadn't drank so many of these in College you could have remembered the name of the establishment
    ::::ducking.
    Sorry to hear about WVU, you could always be a Bronco Fan. We'd let you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been really busy and in a bit of a funk so haven't been too blogging inspired. Since they now have Manning, I could be a Broncos fan.

      Delete
  2. I'm not big on beer... I'll take a Bloody Mary though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - It's like a bloody made with beer, but you still have to like beer as the juice doesn't hide the flavor.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if this is more of a southern thing but I've never heard of red beer! And yes, I did go to college...and yes, I did drink. Of course only when I was of legal age :) It sounds good and I'm going to have to try one! It sounds like a great drink for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be more of a southern thing Susan or at least not a mid-west thing. It's hard to imagine the founders of the American beer industry, dumping tomato juice in theirs.

      Delete
  4. Hi Larry, I'm not a beer drinker--but love good ole tomato juice... YUM.....

    I guess we can make most everything we eat healthy in some way, can't we???? That's why I love Carrot Cake... I'm getting my VEGGIES. Right????? ha ha
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe carrot cake would be another good example of this health food logic.

      Delete
  5. The new header looks mighty tasty Larry and so does that red beer. I haven't had one of those for much too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam - I'm not sure you should let another week go by :-)

      Delete
  6. Larry, Despite my many college experiences with demon alcohol...I'd never even heard of this tomato - beer concoction. I think I'd just stay with the early AM greasy burger and fries to cure my ills. FYI...Your cover photo of that shrimp platter sure looks good! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave - not sure how widespread it is, but it was very popular in Morgantown.

      Delete
  7. Great heading photo and I'm still trying to get my head around beer and tomato juice. But you are right; you are getting your vitamins. Hope you have your mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny - From the fact that you're posting, I guess you guys have gotten settled in for the winter.

      Delete
  8. Somewhere deep in my mind I've read about this. Sounds like it might cure anything that ails ya.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised so many folks have commented that this is new to them - I thought us West Virginians were behind on everything.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about WVU - at leas they weren't the only team to give their fans some disappointment over the weekend... you aren't alone :)
    And red beer... it reminds me of college too.. go figure!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about your Mountain Ears (ha ha) Larry but things could be worse, you could be a Vol fan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As much as I love a good cold beer, I can't say I've ever had a redeye - other than redeye gravy which my dad loved. Very nice post Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All for beer and tomato juice! I am a lightweight when it come to drinking and have to dilute my beer most of the time with sprite- like a shandy. Also a great use of all that good homemade tomato juice y'all make.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments