I had never heard of Sablefish (Butterfish, Black Cod - they are all the same thing), likely because they come form the depths of the Northern Pacific Ocean and not likely to show up in our local supermarket here in the south. However, several pieces came in our recent shipment from Sitka Salmon Shares and I decided to give one a try using the suggested oriental recipe. They sent a recipe with the fish but I opted for a similar one from The Nourish Evolution as I had all of the ingredients. Their recipe is for four pieces of fish so I divided everything by three to get the one below for my single piece.
This shot is from her site to show how the fish flakes.
Sablefish With Ginger Soy Glaze – Adapted from Nourish Evolution
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2/3 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp grated fresh ginger (I used 1/3 tsp powder)
1/3 clove garlic, grated (I used 1/8 tsp powder)
1 sablefish filet (mine had the skin on)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp canola oil
2/3 green onion, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a right sized dish. Add sablefish, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
2. Remove fish from dish and reserve marinade. Sprinkle fish evenly with salt and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil and lay fish in pan, skin side up.
3. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and to desired degree of doneness. I cook fish to a 130F internal temp.
4. While fish cooks, pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 7 minutes, or until marinade is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. Plate the fish skin side down, brush with glaze, and garnish with sliced green onions.
I served it with the last of my Creamy Swiss Cheese Cauliflower.
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
11/17/20 meal date