Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Vegetable Soup For A Dreary Day

Every now and then, Bev needs a vegetable soup fix and with the many cool, rainy days we’ve been having, she decided the day had arrived.  We had a full compliment of veggies on hand plus several packages of various beef cuts that needed to be used from the freezer.

She pressure cooked the meat to get it tender enough to remove from the bones then shredded and diced it for the soup.  Along with the meat, broth, and veggies, our basic recipe includes canned tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and S&P.



She sided it with some of her delicious Mexican cornbread muffins and when I dug into my bowl of soup, I immediately thought this is better than usual and Cindy quickly said “Beverly, this broth is wonderful.”  Bev then replied that she had added a secret ingredient to this batch of soup – two packages of this stuff.


She discovered it in the very back of the pantry while looking for something else and it could easily be years old.  She read on the back of the box that it makes everything better so she added two packages of it to the soup and by golly, the package was right – at least for this soup.  It will now be a regular addition to our vegetable soup and we’ll try it for other things as well.

As it turned out she had some of the cornbread batter left and I opted to have it for breakfast as a pancake with a couple of fried eggs – it was very good especially after I smeared the yolk over the top to get some in every bite.





Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/23/20 event date

5 comments:

  1. I haven't had veggie soup in a long time--it looks so comforting and tasty. I'll be on the lookout for the Goya seasoning. Your breakfast has me drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Laurie loved the look of that soup! As for the breakfast 'pancake' with eggs, I've missed your inventive breakfasts with eggs... I should be able to come up with something inventive from this end in the next few days as, more than ever, nothing is going to waste. Stay Well and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are tossing all leftover veggie bit and pieces in a container in the freezer and then making soup every other week. Trying very hard to have zero food waste and minimal grocery trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look for some of that seasoning, that is if I ever get to go grocery "browsing" again. . I googled it and it says it has anatto seed in it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments