Sunday, March 1, 2020

Healthy Breakfast And Other Stuff


After my surgery, the doctor advised that I should not be dieting while healing but now that it’s a month post-surgery and the start of a new month, it seems like a good time to get back to eating less.  But since I’ve mentioned surgery, here is an update.

Hip Update - Yesterday (three weeks and 5 days post-surgery and 10 therapy sessions), I was finally able to walk 100 yards or so without my cane and with just a slight limp – so good progress continues and the internal healing should be fully complete in two more weeks.

As I've said many times, my favorite meal, and type of food, is breakfast but I usually eat the same basic things so it’s easy to come up with dishes that I like.  My goal for this meal, which I will likely eat often, is to be nutritious, contain few bad carbs, and be under 400 calories – for comparison: McDonald’s Egg McMuffin=300 calories and Sausage McMuffin =400 calories.

The ingredients for this meal and calories (if I read them right) are:

45 - 1 oz baked ham
160 – 2 large eggs
40 – 1 tsp olive oil
75 – 1/3 cup 4% cottage cheese (2% is 68 calories)
15 – 5-6 grape tomatoes
35 – 10 grapes (55 - 4oz OJ, 50 - half medium apple)
370 – Total calories

For this meal, I diced the ham and sautéed it in the oil then added the beaten eggs for a scramble.  The grape tomatoes were sliced in half and mixed with the cottage cheese and the grapes were eaten for dessert.


The meal was very good and plenty filling.

We made pot roast in the slow cooker as the weekly meal for our friends and the finished pics just looked like pot roast but before heading into the cooker, it got a little pre-cooking.  After trimming and seasoning the 3½ # chuck roast with S&P, I got some peanut oil to nearly smoking in a 12” pan and added the meat to a good sizzle.  I let it get a good brown on it before flipping - I believe this is a critical step for any pot roast recipe.


When brown on both sides, it went into the slow cooker and I deglazed the pan with a cup of cool water, scrapped up all of the brown bits, and poured this good beef broth over the meat before adding the remaining ingredients - getting it off to a good start.  I used a new recipe which I accidentally deleted and while I liked the roast, Bev was just lukewarm on it so no need to try and find the recipe to show here.

Cindy wanted to cook Friday night's supper and she chose Salmon with Gingery Cabbage using the recipe from Good Housekeeping which you can find by clicking on the link.


I really enjoyed it except the fish was a little too done for me, so if you try it and like your salmon less done, I suggest using a remote probe thermometer and cooking to the internal temperature you prefer rather than going by the suggested 15 minute baking time.  The meal reminds me of the many Asian Salmon recipes that we so rarely try but need to.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

2/27 – 3/1/20 event dates

7 comments:

  1. Larry, Looks like you're keeping with the healthy diet routine... As you've discovered, the trick is finding recipes/foods that work and that that satisfy ya'll. We're not there healthy wise, that's for sure. This morning it was juice, 3 easy over eggs, a slice of buttered toast and 60% of a can of hash...crisped up with butter. At least there was only one slice of toast! Dinner will be steaks and green beans... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are on the right healthy road! looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good breakfast! Good luck with all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be happy to have that for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on that 100 yard hike. I happen to think that's a long way. Your breakfast looks pretty darn good. I like fruit and cottage cheese together. Peaches and pineapple are my favorite. And I like the sounds of that Gingery Cabbage. I'll have to try that one. I've never used a probe for salmon, and always roast it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees . Oven temps can be all over the place, but this seems to work well for me and our altitude. A little press on the top of the salmon will indicate if it's starting to flake = done. And as always, you've made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your recovery is swift. As having no experience as a doctor I would advise you to eat more bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Larry! I'm so glad you are healing nicely. The breakfast looks tasty & healthy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments