I don’t know about you but I often read a recipe, think it sounds delicious and file it away for later, which seldom seems to come. So when I saw Tricia’s post for Spanish Rice over on her Saving Room For Dessert blog and realized we had all the ingredients, I opted to make it that day. Check out her blog for the original recipe and some really good shots of her dish.
Rather than use it as a side dish, I decided to add some meat and call it the main dish, plus I changed the ingredients a little for our taste and changed the directions some as well to include the meat.
Spanish Rice With Meat – Adapted from Saving Room For Dessert
6 slices of bacon
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 small green bell peppers (or one large), seeds and ribs removed, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 lb. lean hamburger
28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes, cut up (do not drain)
1½ cups water
1 cup long grain rice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin (rounded)
S&P to taste
½ tsp sriracha sauce
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1. Chop bacon into about ½“ pieces and cook until crisp in a large skillet, remove and drain on paper towels.
2. Add the onion and peppers and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes, using the moisture in them to de-glaze the pan. Add the minced garlic and quickly sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. S&P to taste
3. Remove onion mixture from the pan and drain on paper towels.
4. Add a little olive oil if needed and brown the meat, breaking into small pieces and S&P to taste.
5. Add the onion mixture, tomatoes and any canned juice, water, rice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, Sriracha. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is done. Most of the liquid should be absorbed but don't let it get dry.
6. Adjust seasonings and stir in the chopped parsley, and serve topped with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese is desired (I used white cheddar & hot pepper cheese on mine).
We all thought it was very good and a definite keeper meal – maybe as good as Mom used to make. I also liked that it was a one pan meal. Thanks Tricia.
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
5/1/17 Meal Date