Monday, May 22, 2017

Easy Meal Like Mom Might Make

Bev had bought a box of Members Mark Frozen Crab Cakes from Sam’s Club and they were taking up space in our freezer plus our neighbors had given us some fresh picked asparagus and we had some red potatoes that needed to be cooked.  This sounded like the ingredients of an decent easy meal and one like my mom might have made – no Sam’s back then, of course.


Mom nearly always cooked fresh vegetables and I don’t even know if frozen ones were available – I suppose they were as TV dinners could be bought – remember Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes, peas and an apple dessert.  One of the staples at mom’s table was plain ole boiled potatoes mashed on our plates with butter, salt and pepper – basic but I still like them that way.

I doubt frozen crab cakes could be found back then but fish sticks were certainly available and more likely for this meal.

I fried the crab cakes in oil and got them a little brown but not such that the taste was impacted, but it did make for a nice crunch.
 

So the finished meal looked like this.


While not a high end gourmet meal, we both thought the crab cakes were good and way better than expected – Bev said she would serve them to company but I wouldn’t go that far – with a little remoulade they would have been even better.  We would buy them again for a quick and easy crab fix – they can be baked or fried.  After 20 years our asparagus patch died out and I replanted it this year so we should be harvesting our own crop again in a couple of years.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry


5/12/17 Finished Date

17 comments:

  1. That looks like something to enjoy!! Bon Appétit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Sorry to hear that your asparagus patch died out! That was some great asparagus for sure... Laurie likes crab but I've never really cared much for it...even fresh and dipped in butter. Grill crab legs and serve them with butter and Laurie might leave home for them! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes --we can find some good 'frozen' things like the Crab Cakes that we enjoy.... NOT always --but when enhanced, they can work for a quick meal... Thanks for sharing. We go to Sam's regularly but haven't tried these yet...

    I posted a full moon over the water on my post today.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, we have TV dinners and fish cakes too growing up. Crab cakes are one of my favorite meals although I do have to say my mother never made them. What she did make occasionally was salmon croquets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with a quick easy meal that tastes good, my kinda cooking. Looks yummy. And love fresh asparagus too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought asparagus only lasted about 5 years. Shows just what I know. That looks like it was a great meal, although I'm sure you could make better crabcakes yourself. Sometimes, though, it's nice to have the ease of preparation and still a decent flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice when you have asparagus again fresh from the garden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about your asparagus patch.
    This looks like a nice and easy weeknight meal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks pretty awesome to me Larry. Will have to look for those crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your 'simple' meal looks absolutely delicious. I hope your asparagus patch does well. I really like the way you serve mashed potatoes in this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks like a terrific meal! Too bad about the asparagus patch dying - I hope the new one is bountiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to give those crab cakes a try! We all need an easy but tasty meal now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is what I call eating down the frig :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the asparagus! Crab cakes look good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love crab cakes and I will have to look for these. I let our asparagus go this year - no time to work on it. But I hope it will be all the stronger next year. I hear they'll last 20 years - so yours did good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We started off in the downstairs pub area at Los Angeles venues and then moved to the upper level, many tables were already reserved there but we commandeered some sitting space in front of a fireplace that was just the right size for our group of happy campers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fish sticks were the only Fish that ever hit our lunch plates when I was growing up. We're not Sam's club members, I feel I'm missing out on those crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments