Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Kathy’s Eggs

The Roden girls are at Almost Heaven South for their annual visit and it seems like the two youngest girls have grown a couple of feet since last year.  At 5’5”, Kathy always seemed reasonably tall but her girls have obviously inherited the Roden gene as their dad is the family runt at 6’2” and his dad is 6’7”.  Here they are (Kathy, Katelyn, Lauren, Jennafer) and Lauren has now caught up to Katelyn at 5’7” and Jennafer has shot up to 5’10½”.


One of the things they like to do is eat well while here and so far we’ve done pretty well at accomplishing this goal, but this day, Kathy took over the kitchen and made her special breakfast scrambled eggs for the 6 of us.  All amounts are ball park from her after-the-meal memory and they are all flexible.

12 eggs
¼ cup whipping cream
20 small cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered depending upon size
Garlic grapeseed oil or olive oil
S&P
5 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade or chop
¼ cup bacon grease
½ cup onion, diced
1-1½ cup chopped mushrooms – she used shitaki’s
2/3 bag of fresh spinach
1½ cup shredded cheddar, divided
8 slices crisp bacon, chopped – Benton’s of course
S&P to taste

1. Whip together the eggs, cream, and S&P to taste, set aside.
2. Drizzle the tomatoes with oil, add basil, S&P and stir together, set aside.
3. Heat ¼ cup bacon grease in large skillet over medium heat and saute the onions until translucent. 
4. Add mushrooms, S&P, and cook until nearly tender then add spinach and cook until just wilted.  Check seasoning and adjust.
5. Add egg mixture, half the cheese, and cook like plain scrambled eggs until nearly set.
6. Spread into even layer in pan cook a minute then flip in large sections and spread to re-even if needed.
7. Top with crumbled bacon, remainder of cheese, and tomatoes.
8. Cut into wedges and serve.



Note:  She normally uses about ¾ cup of cooked ham, rather than the bacon, and adds it with the mushrooms.  I believe rather than flipping large sections, I would have tried using a lid to finish cooking the top.  All red maters would have made for a better shot but the yellow ones had a better flavor.

At any rate, it was very good and Bev sided it with ripe melon and Three Cheese Gougeres using a recipe from Martha Stewart.com.  The melon was ripe and sweet and the gougeres were tasty but not memorable.  Once again the humble egg shows it's receptivity to being turned into about anything.

I'm Still Reading

We did some cleanup on my computer this weekend and now, for some reason, I'm unable to comment on your blogs that asked me to "choose profile" - It used to have Google in the block but now asked for my profile and when I say Google Account, it doesn't take my comment.  Any help appreciated.  In the meantime, please know that I continue to read and enjoy your blogs.  I can comment on sites where I enter my name, email, and url.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/25/16 meal date

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a yummy breaky, think a lid on it would do the trick.
    Good luck with comments. Maybe you need to sign into your Google account again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful girls! I didn't get that tall gene myself but I am average compared to the rest of the family. That's why I married tall! The breakfast looks wonderful and I love that you both got a break in the kitchen :) Enjoy your July 4th holiday! I bet there will be meat on the grill :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Good looking family group! Sounds like you all had a great time... Laurie would love that egg dish but I'd have to stick to the melon and those nice looking three cheese Gougeres. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful daughter and granddaughters you have there! Looks like you're having a great time. It's nice to have Kathy take over the kitchen once in a while, I would think!

    Dan says it's awfully hot and humid, so I'm quite certain you're all enjoying the lake and tubes. Have a great Independence Day weekend, if we don't hear from you before then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking family! Have a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo of the girls! And the egg scramble looks so delicious. Will be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful group of girls, Larry! Our girls are taller than me and I'm 5'7". I love the sound of the egg dish and pretty soon I'll be picking some cherry tomatoes off my own plants. Wish I could help you with the comment issue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely family photo. I know how much you love your breakfasts and the eggs sound like a great way to start the morning.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments