Sunday, June 2, 2013

Post Blogger Party Breakfast

For our blogger parties, Chris (Nibble Me This) and I have provided lodging for some of the guests who need to spend the night or leave the event too early to drive home and, as last year, the Klett’s and two Hoffer families bunked with us.  A month ago, Penny Klett posted on her Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen blog her husband David’s recipe for shrimp and grits and after I commented how good they looked, Penny offered to make them for breakfast while they were here.  I hurt my fingers typing the positive reply so quickly.

The others may post about this meal as well, but I wanted to do one so I could brag about their food. 

Sam (My Carolina Kitchen) brought a very nice bowl of mixed fruit and Penny also brought scones, chocolate biscotti, and another delicious little pastry.

For his Low Country Cooking demo, Chef David took over the kitchen assisted by sous chef Meakin and another assistant, Penny, while Sam assembled the fruit.  


As there were plenty of bodies in the kitchen, the rest of us just stayed out of the way and advised as to where things are located.

Soon, there was a pan full each of cheesy grits and shrimp in gravy.


I had jokingly said I might have to top my shrimp and grits with a fried egg and Stu and David quickly decided they’d try one as well – as always, everything’s better with an egg.

Let's eat.

What a treat is was for Bev and I to again turn the kitchen over to friends, sit back, and watch them work their magic – then get to enjoy the delicious meal with them. The Hoffer brothers did the same thing for dinner the previous year and I'm beginning to think we may should do this once a month.

Photos, courtesy of Meakin's camera, best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/27/2013 meal date

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time was had by all. I'm impressed, shrimp and grits might be a little difficult to make for a crowd. I'm with you about that egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Damn! The shrimp and grits with the egg on top looks great! Add Tabasco and I'll be flying high for sure. Being from the north, grits are still kind of foreign to us...but I have had great shrimp and grits once...but without the egg. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fabulous breakfast for sure. Shrimp and grits are one of my favorites and I was anxious to try their version with the andouille. I wrote Penny and volunteered Meakin to help. Those were some of the biggest shrimp he has ever peeled and boy were they beauties.

    Thank you and Bev for the opportunity to spend the night. You guys rock!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all looks incredibly good..... and I love that you gave your kitchen over to friends! They obviously took great care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder David and Penny looked stuffed when they stopped by to pick up David and Jackie, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful sounding breakfast with a terrific group of friends. Wish we didn't live so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like it turned out to be a wonderful weekend, and having someone else to prepare that splendid breakfast is beyond a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were honored to cook you breakfast. Our only concern was living up to your high standards. But somehow I knew that if we put an egg on top it would hide any mistakes. We had so much fun. Your kitchen is a dream Larry and Bev. Thanks for your hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a great start for the day There couldn't be anything more fun that to sit around the kitchen and watch the masters work their magic....unless of course, it is getting to enjoy it afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great end to your blogger party! The shrimp, grits and egg looks really good :) Also, my mouth is watering looking at that pork in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was plenty nervous cooking breakfast for the Breakfast King, and I'm afraid it showed in the results, but I think a fried egg on top will become a permanent part of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments