Friday, June 21, 2013

Rotisserie Chicken With Green Peppercorn Sauce

A few months ago, I bought some green peppercorns for a dish then forgot what it was before I got around to making it, so when Ann at Thibeault’s Table posted her recipe for Roast Chicken Breast with a Green Peppercorn Sauce, I realized I should not miss another opportunity.  Ann didn’t provide a detailed sauce recipe so following is what I made after a little web search:

Rotisserie Chicken With Green Peppercorn Sauce - Adapted from Thibeault's Table
Ingredients:
2 whole frying chickens
Canola oil
S&P
1 C. chicken broth
2 T. green peppercorns - the dried ones, not brined ones
1 t. chicken fat
1 shallot, small dice
1 t. flour
1 T. chopped rosemary
¼ C. heavy cream

Directions:
1. Heat chicken broth to a simmer and soak peppercorns in hot chicken broth for an hour while the chicken cooks.
2. Rub chickens with oil, install on the spit, and sprinkle with S&P.  Add spit to grill using inferred back burner and set a pan on the grill grate to catch the juices.  Cook to a temperature of 160* in the breast and 175* in the thigh, remove from the grill and rest while making the sauce.  
3. Remove all but ½ T. fat from chicken pan and put over heat
4. Sauté shallot until soft and stir in flour
5. Add some chicken stock and deglaze the pan.
6. Add the peppercorns, remaining stock with peppercorns, heavy cream, rosemary, and simmer to reduce by half.
7. Remove chickens from the spit, split into half chicken servings and side with cheese grits Ala David Klett both topped with the sauce.

My shot isn’t too great as I put the chicken skin side down to get the sauce right in the breast meat and have it stay – presentation wasn’t too important this day and I considered not posting it but this blog is my recipe file.

It was very good and I loved the sauce on both the chicken and the grits and will definitely make it again - I have an 8 oz. jar of the peppercorns to use up Thanks Ann for a delicious meal.

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them. 

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/16/2013 meal date


11 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. My hubby would really like those grits. He is a southern guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a bottle of brined green peppercorns on the fridge door. I'm going to use those to make this, it sounds delicious! I'm glad you posted this recipe. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my feelings on sauces, so it shouldn't surprise you that I think the sauce sounds delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific recipe, Larry. I'm so glad you decided to post it. have a wonderful day.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. My presentation is never great, because everyone's always hollering to get their food NOW! So I always admire your pictures. This one makes me feel a little less inadequate in the photography arena, and I think I have a houseful of dudes who would love this chicken sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. I am really liking the side dish of grits. That is something I need to learn to do more often-Use GRITS!

    Velva

    P.S. I placed the preserving book you recommended on My Amazon Wish list. I will be ordering it very soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I have to get me some green peppercorns because that sauce sounds fantastic. I also had a green peppercorn sauce recipe for steaks that I wanted to try too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always buying ingredients for recipes and then somehow never making them. I have some silken tofu in my fridge that I have no idea what it was for. Great use of your peppercorns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chicken sounds delicious...especially with the cheese grits. Sam posted a recipe for a blue cheese stuffed burger with a green peppercorn sauce that I made as well. Perhaps that is what you bought the green peppercorns for...it was a terrific recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Larry, I'm glad that you liked the sauce. It is wonderful on steaks too. I'm sure I would love the sauce on grits too. But grits are difficult to find here.
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting! I have a bunch of green peppercorns, too. Looks like a great sauce to have in the repertoire!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments