Monday, October 17, 2011

Smoky Pork Chili with Black-Eyed Peas Ala Velva

If you're a regular reader, you may have noticed that I only occasionally post a recipe from a cookbook and usually post about a creation or one of your recipes.  I know many of you are avid cookbook readers (Bev likes to read them as well), but my cookbook is primarily your blogs, even though I have some very good cookbooks.  This is why most of my dishes will look familiar to many of you and here is another one.

As the garden winds down for the year, I continue to look for recipes to use my produce, especially tomatoes and peppers, so when Velva, over at Tomatoes On The Vine posted a recipe for Smoky Pork Chili with Black-Eyed Peas, I knew it had to be tried.  My belief was I had some purple hull field peas (similar to black eyed) in the freezer and I’d only have to buy some pork, but alas they were nowhere to be found so I used canned peas.

I invited good friend Kathy and her mom (both from Texas) over to help me eat it – what could be better than inviting two women over while the wife is out of town – one would have probably been enough or maybe way more than enough (LOL).

When I use a recipe from the computer, rather than print it and use another piece of paper, I just write it down on an envelope from the trash, of which there are many.  I pretty well followed Velva’s recipe as written, except I roasted fresh Anaheim’s (New Mexico chile)  rather than use the dried ones – I did use the dried Ancho’s I had on hand (three as they were small), but blistered them on the grill, and I added ¼ cup less vinegar than called for. 

As I was stirring the chopped veggies prior to roasting, it occurred to me that I was making chili but had not chopped up any onion – this cannot be right.  So back to the computer I went for a look at the original recipe and sure enough I’d failed to write down the onion on my envelope – the planets felt more aligned at that point.

When I was tasting it in the pan, I thought it needed something but wasn’t sure what so I dished it up and added the dollup of sour cream and diced green onions called for in the recipe.  I stirred it all together and really liked it as did Kathy – the sour cream was just what it needed, so if you make it, don’t assume it’s just for garnish and omit it.  Sorry about the messy bowl. 


A couple of mornings later, I decided to give it a try for a quick breakfast of nuked tortilla with the chili, topped with a couple of fried eggs (I know big surprise) and it was very good.

Thanks Velva for a delicious dinner and breakfast.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them. 

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Hodgepodge From The Marco Condo Balcony On Day 3

Two years ago:  None 

Larry

11 comments:

  1. See what happens when you're unsupervised! :)

    Looks delicious Larry. And you know I'm loving that breakfast.

    I just haul my laptop to the kitchen counter. At least if you spill on that envelope you won't be as devistated as I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to find some purple hull peas in my freezer. I shelled enough of them growing up to have purple fingers. Too bad they were gone. This is my kind of recipe 'cause I love beans. Does Bev know what you're up to when you're all alone (smile). Oh, I forgot - the dogs are supervising you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like something Dave would do when I was away . . . Have a Party! I'm sure the ladies appreciated your cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic, Larry. It is a great recipe and I'm sure this is delicious. I'm glad you had such a great vacation. Have a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chili is definitely the thing to be making these days! This looks and sounds fantastic, must try this next time I make chili! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, I am rally honored that you made this recipe. I will remember the sour cream. We are planning to host a Chili cook-off and I was going to use this chili again.

    Looks like you know how to have a good time when the wife is out of town (laugh).

    Velva

    P.S. my garden is doing pretty good. This time I aimed for less than perfect, and took note that things have a way of taking care of themselves if you don't muck around too much with mother nature. Thanks for the good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Larry, Nothing like chili and a couple of eggs over easy for breakfast! Of course, I would have sprinkled a bit of cheese and Tabasco on top... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look forward to your leftover breakfasts. The chili looks tasty but I think it looks even tastier on top of tortillas with a couple of eggs - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the chili was fine without the sour cream and onions. It was right tasty just heated up when I had it a few days later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do appreciate a man who can fend for himself and to entertain on top of it!

    This does look delicious but I'm sure I could do chili for breakfast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I want to make that one too, it sounded so good. I thought the black eyed peas reminded me of that cowboy caviar but in a chili with meat.

    LMAO about your "two women" comment.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments