Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Oven Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and White Beans

When I saw Maria's recipe for protein heavy Oven Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and White Beans on her "Two Peas & Their Pod" blog, I knew it would be perfect for my diet and something we would all enjoy.  I followed the recipe except for two things - my girls prefer breasts so I used a whole chicken and I brined the bird.


Chicken Brine  

Ingredients:

6 cups water

3/8 cup kosher salt - do not use table salt

3/16 cup honey

2 dried bay leaves

3 cloves of garlic smashed and peeled

3/4 tablespoon whole black peppercorns

3/4 tsp dried rosemary (3 sprigs fresh)

3/4 tsp dried thyme (3 sprigs fresh)

3/4 tsp dried parsley (3 sprigs fresh)

1½ lemons sliced

Instructions:

1. Place the water, salt, honey, bay leaves, garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, parsley and lemons in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.

2. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until salt has dissolved.

3. Turn off the heat and cool completely.

4. Add the chicken to the cooled brine making sure it is completely submerged and refrigerate for six hours.

5. Remove the chicken from the brine and rinse with cool water. 

Oven Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and White Beans

Ingredients:

15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

14 oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained

12 oz Yukon gold potatoes, quartered (I added some extras)

2 shallots, thinly sliced

6 garlic cloves, minced

¾ cup chicken broth

1 large lemon, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

1 teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

4 pound whole young chicken

6 pats butter

Poultry Seasoning to taste

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

4 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme  (I omitted with the seasoned butter)

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 425. Spray a 9×13 baking dish (larger pan for me) with nonstick cooking spray.

In a bowl, combine the beans, artichokes, potatoes, shallots, garlic, chicken broth, lemon slices, rosemary, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.


Spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken (video) and pat dry with paper towels.




Season six butter pats with Poultry Seasoning, lift the skin on the breasts and thighs, and put two pats under each breast skin and one under each thigh skin.



Season the chicken all over with black pepper – the brine should provide enough salt.

Lay the chicken in the pan and add the broth and veggies around it.

Drizzle the chicken with olive oil, then rub the oil into the chicken until it’s well coated.


Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 45 to 55 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 158°F in the breasts and the potatoes should also be fork-tender.

Remove the chicken to a cutting board and rest for five minutes.

Carve the chicken, dip up the veggies (if serving family style).

I just left the chicken on the cutting board and the veggies in the pan and we served buffet style by plating the chicken, then veggies, and a spoon of sauce over the chicken.



This is my plate of deliciousness.

The Verdict:

The meal was definitely a big hit with everyone with some saying it was fantastic.  My meat probe told me that I had overcooked the breasts but they were moist and tender, so guess it was in the wrong location – no Jaccarding required on these young four-pound chickens.  The potatoes were not quite done so I removed them to a bowl, nuked for three minutes, and added back to the pan while I carved the chicken - I’ll par cook them a little next time.  I removed and sliced the breasts for the girls and Ernie and I ate the leg quarters – there was just the right amount of meat for the five of us.  Bev thought it could use more herbs so I'll use some under the skin next time rather than the Poultry Seasoning.  After the six-hour brine, the salt level was just right in the meat as were the veggies with the one tsp of salt.  This will be a make again dish maybe with a couple more vegetable additions and while hard to find (only Kroger’s had them), I will always use a young chicken when cooking a whole one.  

Photos can be slightly enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/9/26 event date


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and enjoy your comments