Sunday, September 15, 2024

Delicious BLT's – Square Bread But Round Tomatoes

When your tomatoes are large enough to cover the slice of bread, the following doesn’t apply.  But since we rarely have those tomatoes, we are faced with using smaller ones.  I like thick slices of tomato but after you slice them and lay them on the bread with the tomatoes over lapping, the middle of the sandwich gets pretty thick, making it harder to eat - solution below.

 

And if you want to make it really easy to eat, make it open-faced and use a knife and fork.  I decided I wanted some cheese and onion on mine so I built them by spreading mayo on the bread, followed by crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and chopped onion.  I ran this through the toast cycle in our toaster oven until the cheese was melted. 



When using small tomatoes, rather than slicing them to the same thickness, I cut them on a slant so I could make the thin sides overlap in the middle of the bread.

I then added the lettuce and tomato, seasoned it with S&P, and then, of course, a sunny side up egg.


Bev wanted sour dough with rounded ends and so I could show another tomato prep method, I used a large tomato for hers and cut it to fit the bread in the middle without overlapping.

The Verdict:

They were delicious but the tomatoes still wanted to slide around just a little so next time I’ll put them on the less-slick cheese and put shredded lettuce on top.  Doing the tomatoes like this works with or without a top piece of bread. 

Photos can be slightly enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/7/24 meal date

1 comment:

  1. Larry, Of course you had to top those tomatoes with a fried egg, otherwise I'd think that someone else had written this post! You are great at innovating and changing standard offerings to something new that works for you. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments