Sunday, June 16, 2024

Madison (Granddaughter) Comes For A Visit – Post 2

Even though it was cool and rainy during their visit, Madison and boyfriend, Zach, managed to get in some jet ski riding, a couple of walks around the area, and some time with her Meme.



After cooking the pork butt the previous day, for Wednesday, I decided to make it a full Mexican meal day, a belated Cinco De Mayo, and made Chorizo and Eggs Ranchero as the last scrambled egg meal (I think I made 9 -10 of them) from “The Taste Of Home’s” 30 New Ways To Eat Scrambled Eggs."  I doubled the recipe for 4 servings, used the Spanish Chorizo (cooked) that I had in the freezer, and I used flat 6” tortillas rather than make tortilla bowls.

Chorizo and Eggs Ranchero – 4 servings

Ingredients:

4 flour tortillas (8 inches)

Cooking spray

1½ cup refried beans

8 ounces fresh chorizo (Spanish)

8 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup mild salsa (green because we had it on hand)

½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°.

Spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray.

Press tortillas onto bottom and up sides of two 1½ qt. ovenproof bowls.

Bake until edges are just browned, 8-10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from bowls. Cool completely.

Microwave beans, covered, on high until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Spread a fourth on each tortilla.

In a large nonstick skillet, cook the chorizo over medium heat until warmed through, 4-6 minutes; spoon a fourth onto each tortilla.

In a separate skillet, add eggs and scramble until thickened and no liquid egg remains.

Meanwhile, microwave salsa, covered, on high until heated through, 1 minute.

Spoon eggs over beans; top with salsa. Sprinkle with cheese.

Zach ate two smaller corn tortillas.


The Verdict:

This was a definite winner and everyone loved it and due to the flavor difference, I believe it would be even better with fresh chorizo – and it will be tried here.

Enchiladas

Since I prefer salsa verde and Madison and Zach said they liked both red or green, we went with green and bought a quart from our local Cielto Lindo Mexican Restaurant.  I used the enchilada recipe that I had used about six years ago but here it is again.

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped pulled pork, packed tight (Larry’s BBQ)

1 cup Mexican cheese blend (I used cheddar & pepper jack))

4 oz. Rotel, drained

2 oz chopped green chiles (from a 4oz can), or more to taste

½ cup sour cream

Salsa verde as enchilada sauce (I used a pint or so)

Cotija cheese (I used the feta I had on hand)

11 corn tortillas

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir pork, 1 cup cheddar cheese, Rotel and sour cream together until blended.  (It made four cups so 1/3 cup per tortilla which really filled them). 

Spread about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish. 

Using the method from Chef Lea Ann at Highlands ranch foodie, I fried the tortillas in oil for a minute or so.

I passed them on to Bev and she filled, tightly rolled and added them to the baking dish.

Pour enchilada sauce over top the finished rolled and filled tortillas.

Top with crumbling cheese and bake 20-30 minutes or until everything is hot and bubbly. Serve hot.

Bev cooked two pounds of pinto beans and turned them all into her delicious refried beans. 

My plate.

The Verdict:

We all thought the enchiladas were very good but as much as I like salsa verde, I think I may have preferred red enchilada sauce. 

Then for dessert, Bev made a coconut cream pie using a store-bought gluten free crust.

It was a great day of eating and I think we filled all of Madison's food request.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/15/24 meal date

4 comments:

  1. I think you had an underlying motive with all this amazing food. To make sure Madison and Zach come to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry, Great to see a photo of Madison all grown up! Really nice that she brought her boyfriend for a visit. I'll take a plate of the chorizo and eggs ranchero... Looks and sounds great. Red is OK but I also prefer the green salsa. Coconut cream pie is one of our favorites too! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lucky granddaughter! The chorizo ranchero has me drooling & the enchiladas look tasty! Bev's refried beans and coconut pie look perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments