Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Pan Seared Bay Scallops With Lemon Orzo

Bev is not a big fan of scallops so I used her being in Gatlinburg as an opportunity to cook up some bay scallops for just me.  We brought the frozen scallops back from Florida in one pound bags so I made two meals of them.


Since it was just me, I wanted something quick and easy but still made good use of the scallops so I combined two recipes from My Recipes to get this dish.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:
1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. 
2. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. 
3. Stir in pasta, broth, wine, and thyme; bring to a boil. 
4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente. 
5. Stir in lemon juice. Keep warm.


Ingredients:
Olive oil
¾ slice of county ham diced
1 lb of bay scallops
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Heat oil on pan over high heat until shimmering.
2. Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle scallops evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. Add scallops and ham to the pan; cook about five minutes tossing a couple of times – mine did not develop a crust.
4. Plate the orzo then the scallops and garnish with chopped green onions or chives.

I thought it was very tasty and thought the two dishes worked well together.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

2/12 Meal Date

9 comments:

  1. Both those dishes sound very tasty, thanks for sharing Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, That's an attractive entree for sure... Love scallops as a change from the usual shrimp and fish from time to time! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, Larry! I like scallops but have never made them at home, have to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. try Austrailian scallops.................YUM.................HRB......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore scallops! They are just outrageous in price right now. I bought them for Christmas eve. I am going to save this recipe for the holiday! they look and sound sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I save them for very special occasions, so expensive here in Colorado. They look delish. How long are you going to be unsupervised?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments