Friday, June 5, 2015

2015 Western Trip Planning

One of the places in the country I've been to but never spent much tourist time is the Pacific Northwest and so it is on the docket for this years RV journey - this may be my dream trip.  The plan I've put together involves angling from home up into the area with a few stops along the way then coming home as we see fit at the time - if we do my full plan as laid out, it will be 10 weeks.

One of the hard parts of living in the East and going west is just getting out of this area and into where we want to go and that will take us several days with the only multi-day stop in North Platte, NE so this rail fan can visit the giant Union Pacific rail yard.

From there we will continue toward the northwest with 4-7 day stops in the following places:

1. Cody, WY - to see the town, the scenic mountain drives and the east side of Yellowstone,
2. Coeur D'Alene, ID - to see the town, the surrounding area, Spokane, WA
3. Ellensberg, WA - to see wine country, Bonneville dam, Lake Chelan, Leavenworth
4. Anacortes, WA - to see Seattle and the area north of it.
5. Shelton, WA - to see the Olympic Peninsula area and Mt Ranier
6. McMinnville. OR - to see wine country, the OR coast, the Columbia River gorge, and Portland
7. Bend OR - to the the local towns, the mountains, Crater Lake

We will leave Bend on day 53 and from there we will start back home and make it quick or slower depending on our desires but including a few days in Denver at a minimum.

Several of my NW blogger buddies have already given me many suggestions and I read several blogs of folks who spend time there, but I would still appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

27 comments:

  1. Thats sounds like an awesome adventure hope you are taking us along too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is completely awesome Larry! I hope you have a wonderful trip - so jealous :) Pacific northwest is on my list. My husband said Coeur D'Alene is gorgeous! Hi to Bev :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you detour down to California we will have to have to break bread. We love Oregon and if you get a chance visit one of the McMenamin properties throughout Oregon and Washington. They go into historic sites and turn them into brewpubs, restaurants and B&Bs. We have visited the majority of them. The Edgefield in Troutdal Oregon is a fun place to stay and is close to the Columbia River Gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so going to enjoy this adventure. The Columbia River Gorge is just incredible. That whole area is beautiful, especially the Oregon coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, This is indeed a trip of a lifetime... Wow! I've been working on attractions/places, etc. that we might suggest for your itinerary. You've hit many of them in your listing but I think that there are a few others that might grab your attention. FYI...as much as you like trains, I think that after several hours of watching trains being shifted around and passing by (at a distance), you'll be done with the rail yard in North Platte. On Monday I'll send you our listing which has internet links to the websites... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry we haven't been to a lot of the Pacific Northwest yet, but have caught a few of the places you're planning to visit. We loved the Cody, WY area and the Bend, OR areas. I'll be following your blog to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoy your adventures in good food and good health my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love road trips. We spent two weeks in the Willamette Valley including a week in McMinnville a number of years ago. We did our own wine tour and enjoyed many wonderful meals in the local restaurants.
    Have a wonderful vacation Larry. I'll look forward to following you on your trip.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was younger and lived in Indianapolis, I used to travel to the east coast during my summers. Now that I'm in Las Cruces I travel to the west coast. I'm actually volunteering for the month of July at Tumalo State Park in Bend, and plan to get my "coast fix" for the month of August. It's all beautiful. I wish you happy and safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  10. we spent a lot tof time in the NW just hit our blog and do a search... there is a nice state park near Bend Oregon but it is usually full in the summer start looking now and you might score a cancellation there

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg LOVE McMinnville Oregon Wine Country. If I didn't have those majestic Rocky Mountain in my back yard, I'd live there. You really must eat at Nick's Italian Cafe in McMinnville. Actually I insist and I'll nag you to death if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh .... and Tillamook Cheese Factory! nag..nag..nag...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to having lunch with you at Cathy's house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful trip Larry. Coeur d' Alene is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it sounds like a great trip, Larry! We've been out west many times, but have never made it to Oregon and WA for some reason. It has to be beautiful! Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great trip you have planned, Larry! If I were to get that far NW I'd have to get to Vancouver to visit the Borchardt Gardens but that's the gardener in me speaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great overall plan, Larry! Get to Frontier Days in Cheyenne if you're coming back through in late July. It's quite a spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like you, I've not spent a lot of time in the NW region. The only place on your list that we've been to is Cody, WY, for an overnight stay before heading to Yellowstone and then on up into Banff, Calgary, Canada. Bill and I want to take a road trip 'out there' again, which is what we did the first time. We loved our trip and are looking forward to your photos and posts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to see all of the great shots that I know you all will get on this adventure. I'd love to go to the Union Pacific since my family is a railroad family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You will love the Pacific NW. We spend a few months in Oregon and Washington every summer. The central Oregon coast is amazing....Terry and I would love to visit with you. When are you going to be in the area?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you have a great trip planned out. Let me know if I can offer any suggestions in Colorado. I look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lea Ann is right about eating at Nick's Italian in McMinnville. It's a must. Pam and I are looking forward to meeting you and Bev. You have a great trip planned, Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking forward to seeing you and Bev! what fun that should be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds like a dream trip…I think that you will have a great time. I know I will enjoy following along.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments