Friday, February 14, 2014

2014 Florida Trip – A Cruise On Lake Okeechobee

We had previously driven around the outside of the lake and I did a blog post but one of the things we wanted to do while staying at Okeechobee was go for a little ride on the lake and our friends Nancy and Ronnie were happy to oblige.  They have a deck boat that is really just a fish harvesting machine (more later) but it worked well for our little tour.


For much of the lake, the water comes right up to the rim (dike) but long the west side there is a large grassy area extending out into the water with a channels through it.  We put the boat in at the ramp near the pier at the top end of the lake (just south of town) and headed down the channel.


We then headed southwest toward the mouth of the Kissimmee River and since it was a warm sunny day we got to see several alligators sunning themselves on the grass and many birds. 


This guy was flying with the boat.


When we got to the river mouth, we headed out into the open lake on the south side of the grass and I got shots of it and fisherman jig fishing in it.


There are several locks around the lake that connect to a network of streams and canals.


This airboat can go about wherever it wants.


As for the fish harvesting machine, all or those 37 circular things are rod holders and rather than fishing (using a bait to tempt and lure a fish to jump on your hook then reeling it in as it fights for freedom) they put out about 30 rods baited with a minnows, hang lights along the boat to attract them, and just flop the crappie into the boat when they grab the minnow (no reels on the rods).


Ronnie’s motive is to put crappie into the freezer (which we share in) and not to fish just for the sport of it.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

2/3/14 event date

11 comments:

  1. How fabulous to have pelicans lead the way for your boat tour. I really enjoyed this as the times we've seen Lake Okeechobee has been looking down from the dikes. We found the lock systems fascinating and it was fun to see cabin cruisers go through the locks in Stuart.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you & Beverly,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun boat tour. I would have a smile on my face just saying the name of the lake: Lake Okeechobee

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days I hope to make it to Florida. It's such a beautiful state. It looks like you had a lovely day on the water. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I've never been to Florida. Great photos Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, We've driven along the lake and watched boats going through the locks... It's a big lake but when we were there last, the water level was way down. Looks like it's recovered. I see what you mean about a fish harvesting machine! I like to fish for sport but now I understand how Nancy and Ronnie get all of those crappie! Good eating too... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing quite like a fish harvesting machine. Makes for some fine meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice adventure! I've seen the lake when I was quite young and don't remember anything about it but it sure is impressive looking at the map. Looks like enjoying wonderful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I love FL, esp. Key West in the winter. I'm looking forward to hearing about the fish harvesting machine! The lake in our subdivision is frozen solid, and I haven't seen grass in what seems life years, so you are one lucky man to live in the South, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting method of fishing. Love the pelican photos in flight. This is an area of FL I've never visited....big lake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love watching pelicans fly. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For all the years that I lived in Florida, I've never been on Lake Okeechobee. Glad you got to experience it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments