Friday, April 5, 2013

Southwestern Pork and Poblano Stew Ala Mary


Last year, I was eating green sauce nearly every time we ate Mexican food in a restaurant, but had not made any at home.  When Mary, over at One Perfect Bite, posted her recipe for SouthwesternPork and Poblano Stew and I remembered we had country style pork ribs in the freezer, I knew it had to be made – although it took us 6 weeks to get to it.

I made a few minor changes to match up with the ingredients we had on hand.  Please check Mary’s excellent blog for the recipe she used and a great photo.

Southwestern Pork and Poblano Stew – adapted from One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds boneless pork country ribs - cut into 3/4-inch cubes - Note 1
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 fresh poblano chilies - halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
5 Sante Fe chilies from our freezer (since they have jalapeno-like heat, I omitted the serrano chilies and used enough to get the right total weight of chiles)

 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups homemade chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:
1) Properly heat a large heavy pan and add oil. Season pork cubes with salt and black pepper and add them to pan. Cook pork over med-high heat, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes.

2) Add onion, chiles, and garlic. Cover and cook over med-high heat, stirring once or twice, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.

3) Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer stew over moderately low heat until pork is just tender and broth is reduced by about half, about 20 minutes.
4) Stir in the 1/4 cup of cilantro, season with salt and black pepper and serve over rice or beside it as Mary did.

Note 1: In case you're not familiar with them, country ribs are often just sliced up pork butt.  The real ones are cut from the front end of the loin backs near the shoulder and often have bones from the shoulder blade, but no rib bones.  Mine were very fatty and it took nearly 4# to get the trimmed 2# for this recipe.
 
Note 2: Mary’s recipe calls for cooking over high heat, but that is screaming hot on our gas cooktop, so I rarely go above med-high except to boil water.

I thought it was very good and while it wasn't exactly a green sauce, it satisfied the urge for now - I forgot the cilantro garnish and lime wedges.  Thanks Mary.

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/26/13 event date

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had a green sauce at a Mexican Restaurant. I must order that next time. This recipe sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this recipe when Mary posted it too... still sounds delicious!! I love anything with poblanos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poblanos are great so I bet this is delicious! Interesting with the pork, and I'm glad you forgot the cilantro! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good Larry. At our local Mexican restaurant they serve Chili Verde, which is chunks of tender pork in a green sauce and it is delicious-one of my favorite meals to order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmmm. Juicy pork, onions, green sauce - yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often buy poblanos when I find them. (And I often often to tell the little cutie at the check out what they are!) The stew sounds wonderful . . . a nice "Mary" adpatation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you consider shipping to S.C.? I'll send you the dried ice materials!!!! Love the header with your cutest of pups! I couldn't live without dogs in my life!

    Have a wonderful (and hopefully warmer) weekend you two!

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the smoky flavor of poblanos. Sounds like a great stew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larry, thank you so much for the link to my blog. It is really appreciated. I love what you did with the recipe. I hope you and Bev have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think that I have ever had Sante Fe chiles before, they look so interesting with their light color. Do they have a thick flesh like jalapenos too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the flavors of this one... it looks and sounds fantastic Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One day I'd love to see how big your freezer is :)

    This does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments