Monday, April 15, 2013

Roasted Crappie Nestled in Veggies Lemons and Olives Ala Pam

“I'm heading to the kitchen to see if we have what I need” could be a typical comment on a blog post, but when Pam at Pam’s Midwestern Kitchen posted her good looking recipe for Roasted Tilapia Nestled in Veggies Lemons and Olives, that’s exactly what I did.  Check out Pam’s site for an actual recipe and photos.

I got a package of crappie from the freezer and found I had everything else I needed in some form.  So my recipe (more like an ingredients list) ended up being:

Ingredients:
1 pound red potatoes, cut into ¾“ cubes
1 lemon, thinly sliced (I had ¾ of an old lemon as wedges and added a few slices of lime)
Dried thyme
Olive oil
S&P
Tiger Seasoning
½ cup pitted kalamata olives
1 Gourmet tomato, cut into pieces the size of half a cherry tomato
9 crappie fillets
Paprika

Method: 
  • Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Lay the potatoes on large rimmed foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper, Tiger, and thyme.  Pour on some olive oil and toss to coat.  Add more Tiger, salt and pepper and toss again.
  • Arrange in a single layer and roast, tossing once, until the potatoes begin to soften, about 20 minutes.
  • Gently toss the olives and tomatoes with the potato mixture and nestle the fish in the mix. (mine were varied sizes and the small ones went in after the large ones had cooked for 6 minutes).
  • Sprinkle all with the paprika, taste the potatoes, and adjust the salt and pepper.
  • Continue to roast until the potatoes are golden and crisp and the fish is done to your liking, about 15 minutes total.
There was actually two pieces of fish under the other stuff on my plate.  We all enjoyed the meal very much and it’s one of those that is receptive to changes such as different or more herbs, onion, garlic, capers, hot pepper flakes for Bev, Tabasco sauce ala Big Daddy Dave, etc.  SIL Pat said she really enjoyed the tomatoes and the three of us ate it all – my plate photo is heavy on olives as I got most of Pats.  A good part for me was being able to adapt the recipe to what we had.  Thanks Pam.

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/4/13 meal date

14 comments:

  1. I haven't had crappie in a long time - yum! I have to laugh - every time you mention SIL Pat - I think of the SILPAT mats I use when baking. So funny. I am stealing that abbreviation SIL - love it - especially since I have three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Pam's site too and wanted to try it soon! Now that it's got a thumbs up from you too, I really need to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful, Larry. I haven't had any crappie in a long time... Need to get some!!!!

    Have a great day.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, This looks and sounds like a great meal. Love crappie...very sweet and flavorful! You are correct! I would have used Tabasco...and you or Laurie could have had my olives too. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too often, my question is, "What can I find that's close to what I need?" Looks like a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love when that happens... you have everything on hand when a recipe jumps out at you? Since the State of Colorado offers no crappie, I'll be trying this with tilapia. Love the olives and lemon in this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I have to learn how to catch those elusive Crappie!!! Since my husband retired last August we have gotten back into fishing. Hopefully soon. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great flavors & textures in this dish Larry. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love crappie! This looks like a great Greek spin...a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a delicious and easily adaptable recipe. Here in New England, I think cod or halibut would be a good choice for this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hoo! Glad you liked it, Larry! Now I need some crappie! You are so right, this is a dish to play with and add your fave ingredients with the fish. I love the potatoes with it and you did it perfectly! Way to go, Mr. Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite kind of meals, everything all cooked together, and lots of possible variations to change it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had crappies since my parents sold their vacation home on a northern Wisconsin lake! They are delicious and look very sophisticated made like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not familiar with Pam's site, so I'll definitely have to visit and follow her posts! Thanks for the lead, Larry! This is the perfect type of fish entree and sides that we enjoy grilling! Simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments