“I'm heading to the kitchen to see if we have what I need” could be a typical comment on a blog post, but when Pam at Pam’s Midwestern Kitchen posted her good looking recipe for Roasted Tilapia Nestled in Veggies Lemons and Olives, that’s exactly what I did. Check out Pam’s site for an actual recipe and photos.
I got a package of crappie from the freezer and found I had everything else I needed in some form. So my recipe (more like an ingredients list) ended up being:
1 pound red potatoes, cut into ¾“ cubes
1 lemon, thinly sliced (I had ¾ of an old lemon as wedges and added a few slices of lime)
½ cup pitted kalamata olives
1 Gourmet tomato, cut into pieces the size of half a cherry tomato
9 crappie fillets
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay the potatoes on large rimmed foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper, Tiger, and thyme. Pour on some olive oil and toss to coat. Add more Tiger, salt and pepper and toss again.
- Arrange in a single layer and roast, tossing once, until the potatoes begin to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Gently toss the olives and tomatoes with the potato mixture and nestle the fish in the mix. (mine were varied sizes and the small ones went in after the large ones had cooked for 6 minutes).
- Sprinkle all with the paprika, taste the potatoes, and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Continue to roast until the potatoes are golden and crisp and the fish is done to your liking, about 15 minutes total.
There was actually two pieces of fish under the other stuff on my plate. We all enjoyed the meal very much and it’s one of those that is receptive to changes such as different or more herbs, onion, garlic, capers, hot pepper flakes for Bev, Tabasco sauce ala Big Daddy Dave, etc. SIL Pat said she really enjoyed the tomatoes and the three of us ate it all – my plate photo is heavy on olives as I got most of Pats. A good part for me was being able to adapt the recipe to what we had. Thanks Pam.
Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
4/4/13 meal date