Friday, December 23, 2011

Grilling Out At Bragg Times Two

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

The girls all like seafood and we decided a grilled meal was in order.  We stopped at Walmart on our way home from Southern Pines to pick up some salmon and romain lettuce and used other on-hand items.  The menu was:

Salmon, Shrimp – little frozen ones on mini skewers – aka toothpicks – all we could find, Bacon wrapped red potatoes, Romain, one green onion – it was laying around.

It all turned out pretty good for what we had to work with except I grilled the romain just a little too long and it’s best to use just the hearts as the outside leaves can get tough.

The only tongs I could find was a pair of scissor tongs that mainly just pushed the food around in the grill.

I did Rhett a favor and threw them in the trash, but Bev retrieved them.

After supper we said we’d like to grill out again tomorrow and the girls said they wanted the same thing, and we were fine with that, but decided it had to be different – the salmon and shrimp left a lot to be desired.  So we headed off to Harris-Teeter and bought four nice, fresh, wild caught salmon pieces, some nice wild caught shrimp (from Argentina - our first), and romain hearts.  Then we decided to wait a day until their dad returned from Korea and could enjoy it with us.  The shrimp shells looked very different.

Madison said she’d like less plain potatoes so we decided on a cheesy version cooked in a foil pouch on the grill.  My mom always made these by just layering all of the ingredients but it doesn’t work for me, so I made a roux and melted the cheese in it to make a sauce to pour on the potatoes and onions.  Then mixed it all up and sealed in foil.

The shrimp and scallops (a first for the girls) got a light dusting with Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning and were basted with butter as they cooked and the salmon got the mayo treatment.  I cooked the shrimp over higher heat to make sure they flamed up for the char-grilled flavor.

We ate the scallops as an appetizer so the girls could try them and they all liked them – I thought they were as good as any I’ve eaten.

Here’s the finished product and my plate and I would happily serve this to any guests in our home.

Bev made up a creamy parmesan dill sauce for the salmon which also went well on the shrimp and the bacon wrapped potatoes – heat cream in a pan, add grated parmesan to taste, add (fresh or dried) dill to taste.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them. 

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago: Steak And Gravy Ala Mary - Sorta

Two years ago: It’s BBQ Day Again – Ribs And Fattys

Larry

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely love grilled romaine! And darnit, it will be awhile before we can even get to our grill since it's buried in snow. All of that seafood looks wonderful Larry. I have to ask about the mayo'd salmon. Just smear and grill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks fantastic, Larry! I love that the kids have a love for seafood... I know I did not at that age!

    Merry Christmas to you and Bev! Hope the day is filled with family and good food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, That 2nd seafood dinner looks great! I would have liked the bacon wrapped red potatoes as well... Scallops were beautiful too! How could anyone who likes seafood not like this meal!? Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they're being well fed with you at the grill, Larry! I've never seen wild caught shrimp from Argentina before. Everything looks delicious. Merry Christmas to you and all the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attempt #2:

    Grill, grill.. we do it year round. Your posts always make me hungry, Larry.

    Merry Christmas to you, Bev and your family. May many blessings come your way in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and Bev, Larry. Look forward to following your eclectic ramblings in the New year and hopefully getting to "Almost Most Heaven" next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The follow-up seafood delight looked wonderful. Is the motto of the story don't buy your seafood from Walmart?

    Merry Christmas to you.

    Velva

    P.S. Next fall season, need to either space the cauliflower or like you, cut them younger. I had a ton of cauliflower all ready to be cut at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like y'all had a feast. It all sounds delicious to me. It's almost like we're having a bit southern weather here. In the 40's and NO SNOW for a change. We will be paying for this. Here's wishing you and Bev and family a very Merry Christmas and keep on grillin' and cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laughing my tail off about the "tongs", I hate that kind too. You put them in the right place, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments