Monday, November 7, 2011

Panko Crusted Pork Chop And Onions

I’ve been saving recipes to try and decided tonight was the night to try a couple of them (sorta) – pork chops & onions, using my usual recipe book – your blogs.

From the freezer, I got a couple of 1” thick boneless pork chops that I’d cut from a whole loin and brined them in basic brine for four hours. The brine was:

1 ½ cups water
½ cup orange juice (had no apple)
1/8 cup Kosher salt
1/8 cup Raw sugar

My plan was to use Pam's recipe for Mustard Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin and her recipe for Roasted Sweet Onion with Herbed Bread from For The Love Of Cooking, but I’d been gone most of the afternoon, was cooking just for me, and my knees were hurting.  I had picked up a box of Parmesan Herb Panko breadcrumbs that contained most of the ingredients in Pam’s recipes so I decided to take the easy way out and use them for both the pork and the onion.  Check out Pam's site for her recipes and good photos.

For this meal, I brushed a light coating of Dijon mustard on one chop and then added the Panko to the top, bottom, and edges.

I did the onions per Pam’s recipe by coating with olive oil and roasting at 450* for 15 minutes, tuning at the 5 minute marks.  Then I added 2 tbsp of the panko that was mixed with ½ tbsp. of melted butter.  The chops (with an external probe thermometer) and the topped onions went into the 450* oven together - I flipped the chops at the halfway point (about 105*).

I pulled the chops at an internal temp of 137* knowing it would go up to around 145* (slightly pink), which is right where I like them.  Here’s my plate.

While I believe following Pam’s recipe with fresh herbs would have been better, I was very pleased with the Panko and will sure use them in the future as I really enjoyed both the chop and the onions.  I needed to cook the chop on a rack as turning it caused most of the coating to come off.

Here’s a shot of the other chop which was grilled the next day with the Mike Mills treatment – rubbed with his Magic Dust and finished with Apple City BBQ Sauce.

It was also very good.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.



Larry

10 comments:

  1. I'll be coming to dinner next time you make this.. just fyi :)
    Love using panko to coat anything - it's so amazingly crispy and good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some lovely boneless chops that I have been trying to decide what to do with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pork chops sound and look wonderful, Larry. Glad you found the Panko... Shortcuts do help---especially when we are tired....

    The other chop looks good also.. YUM.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, Beautiful pork chop!! My favorite meat... Laurie does them in the oven with spicy Italian Breadcrumbs. They stay nice and juicy...the key to enjoying pork chops. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using Panko crumbs, they come out crispy and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually look for the easy way to do things. Especially after being up on your feet all day, you have to make choices about what you can do. Yikes, I sound like I'm 127 years old already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've become a panko bread crumb fan, so will have to look for the flavored version. No matter what I do, and I've even brined, always end up end up with a tough and dry end result with thick pork chops. Maybe the cut you have used isn't the butterfly version I buy from the butcher. I'd love dearly to cook a melt in your mouth tender thick chop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making me hungry! I am glad you liked the onion & pork - I thought they were both mighty tasty. Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site. Looking forward to seeing Bev in her new apron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both look great but I think I'd like the Mike Mills version the best. It looks extra tangy. Thick chops like these are as good as any steak.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments