Friday, August 18, 2017

The 2017 Eclipse

Wow, what an event this is becoming.  People are driving long distances and filling up hotels and campgrounds to be in the “Totality Zone" - perhaps the most travel ever for a 2+ minute event. Twenty six towns and areas in East Tennessee are using it as a reason to have a public event and individuals are using it as a good excuse for a party – like we do the Super Bowl.

For this eclipse, we have the fortune of being about 15 miles off the center line and are well within the 70 mile wide totality path, so all we need now is clear weather, but it will get dark either way.  Our plan is to invite a few friends over and hang-out on either our neighbors dock or take a boat out in the middle of the lake, likely with some pre and post eclipse eats and a few adult beverages on hand.  I need to do some online research for the appropriate food and drink pairings for an eclipse.J

We are at the black spot right of the I-75 shield between Knoxville and Chattanooga.


Fortunately, we are now educated enough to not worry about this being the end of the world or a reason to sacrifice a virgin to please the angry gods, so we can just hope for clear skies, relax, and enjoy this unique event.  And if the skies are cloudy, we can all still enjoy our party-in-the-dark.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/18/17 Post Date

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect time for a party, on the pontoon boat sounds like even more fun, can't wait for more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's just me Larry, but I'm not doing anything "special" for the eclipse. We won't be anywhere near the path of totality and I'm certainly glad that I'm not paying extra money to stay in CGs in that path. At least you're close to it already. Oh well, to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, What!!! No Virgin sacrifice!? Bummer! I'm about to sacrifice something or someone... My hard drive crashed and I'm pretty much out of business from a blogging standpoint. I have to go to the cloud or buy a new hard drive and that won't happen for a week or so at the best. Worse yet, unless I can recover the data on my hard drive, most of my 600 - 700 photos that would be available for blogging are gone. Time will tell... Take Care, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a very fun party! Denver will be at 92% and I look forward to the experience.Except for one issue. we can't find eclipse glasses. So silly. Wyoming is the hot spot in this part of the country. It's become a frenzy. RV parks are charging $900 a space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time at your eclipse Larry! Sounds like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will only see 75% totality, but we're still going to check it out. It's a little cloudy right now, so I hope it clears up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got pretty dark here in Portland but not full totality. What a neat experience!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments