Monday, April 22, 2013

Baked Snapper and Asparagus

When I packaged the tuna that I used for the Grilled Tuna Mediterranean, I packaged it with a piece of snapper for Bev and Madison, but with Bev gone we still needed to eat it - Madison’s favorite fish is made with a lemon, butter, caper sauce.  My asparagus is coming in and when Debbie from "A Feast For The Eyes" posted her recipe for roasted asparagus with lemon, a one pan meal idea was born - with Bev gone and me doing all of the dishes, this becomes a priority.

This meal was just too easy with only a few items. 

Ingredients:

1 snapper filet
Butter at room temperature
Big handful of trimmed asparagus spears
6 lemon slices
Capers, drained
Olive oil                  
Salt & pepper

Procedure:
  • Preheat toaster (or big) oven and spray a pan or dish with cooking spray.
  • Season the fish with S&P, spread the top with butter, and lay skin side done in the dish.  Add capers to taste, and top with three lemon slices.
  • Toss the asparagus with oil, season with S&P, add to dish and top with lemon slices.
  • Bake until thickest part of fish reaches 135* (about 20 min).
  • Carefully remove fish to a cutting board, cut into two pieces and plate.
  • Toss the asparagus in the pan juices and plate.
Madison and I both thought both the fish and asparagus were very good and while she usually eats very light, said she could eat more, if there had been any.  The flavors of the fish and asparagus both came through nicely and this recipe will definitely be used here again, perhaps with a little chicken stock included at the beginning to create more sauce.

NOTE: After overcooking the tuna the other night, I pulled the fish at 125* (15 min. cook time) and it would have been under cooked in the center for most eaters (which is why I put 135* and 20 minutes in the recipe).  I gave Madison the thin end and it was just right for me and obviously her as well. 

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/12/13 meal date

11 comments:

  1. We enjoy fish several times a week and this looks fantastic Larry. Glad to hear Madison's taste now include fish. You're turning that girl into a gourmet :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon caper sauce. This sounds like a perfect Spring meal. Can't you get Madison to help you with some of those dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Madison, love that lemon and caper combo... and I do like to grill fish, yours sure do look good... have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't go wrong with lemon caper sauce on fish.. it's like it was meant for each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Nice looking dinner... I'm with Madison on this one! You needed 2 fillets for sure plus double that great looking asparagus! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks lovely. Sometimes simple recipes are the best recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous meal, Larry.... YUM--I'd love it, and like Madison, I'd probably want some more... Love Snapper and Asparagus.... BOTH are so good for us also!!!!! YUM...

    Have a great day--and thanks for your thoughts on introvert/extrovert......

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks good; I'm glad you've got Madison eating a wider variety of foods. Oh, and I like the new look of your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've wonderfully demonstrated that sometimes simple meals are the most delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how all of these components work so well together! All that lemon sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Capers, lemon and butter on asparagus are the most perfect ingredients so that the flavor of the asparagus is enhance and not smothered! I'll print this one too Larry, for the asparagus that is ripe in my garden now as well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments