Wednesday, November 25, 2009

More Homemade Mustard

Welcome Fiddler.

I made up another batch of mustard the other day and varied the mustard seed a little. This time I used more yellow and less brown seeds to determine the difference in taste and heat level so I’ll know which I like best. See October 28 for the original mustard making details and recipe. This time I used one part brown and two parts yellow seeds. The new batch definitely is more yellow and has more of a yellow mustard flavor, but I couldn’t tell much difference in heat level – but I believe the first one has mellowed some since it was first made. The new one is on the left.


Summary – couldn’t tell a difference in heat level but the new one has a more yellow mustard taste and yellow color.

I think I'll stick with the first one , but our friend Kathy prefers the second one. Whichever you prefer, if you like something other than French's yellow, it's too easy to make your own and work to perfect the recipe that's perfect for you. Just go to Penzey's and order some seed, then experiment - my next one will be a Dijon type when I find a recipe.

Have a great day and I love to get comments.

Larry

3 comments:

  1. I have the original on my "to do" list. Thanks for the update, but I was already planning to darken it up a bit. I like a meaty mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a matter of fact there was :) - just didn't take pic.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments