Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

My New Pan, Swordfish Puttanesca And New Family Additions

Since I’ve made this recipe before, I normally wouldn’t post it again but I wanted to show off my new pan.  We have two 12” skillets and a 12” saute pan but I occasionally wish I had a larger one so I bought a 15” cast iron pan.  I normally don’t like to use cast iron pans on the cooktop as they heat unevenly but I decided to get it anyway and for this meal, I gave it plenty of time to preheat to help with this issue.  I increased the recipe amounts by 50% for the six pieces of good looking swordfish that came frozen from Food City.



Swordfish Puttanesca

Ingredients:

6 swordfish steaks

4 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided

knob of butter

2 cups chopped onion

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1½ cans (14 ounces) chopped tomatoes, with their juices

1 container grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise (I left them whole)

6 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup green olives, sliced

3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise

3/8 cup capers

3/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste

4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided

zest of 3/4 lemon

salt to taste

3/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste

Directions:

1. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, anchovies, olives, capers, red pepper, zest, and 2 tablespoons of the oregano. Set aside.

2. Sprinkle the fish on both sides with salt and black pepper.

3. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until hot.

4. Add the fish and cook without disturbing for 2 minutes, or until browned then flip and cook two more minutes.

5. Remove to a dish and tent to keep warm.

6. In the skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion and cook until soft then add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

7. Add the tomato mixture – be careful since the juices may splutter when you add them to the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until the spluttering stops. Stir well, turn down the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, black pepper, or red pepper, if you like.

8. Add the fish to the sauce along with and any juices on the plate and spoon a little sauce over top.

9. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 130F. I had no lid big enough so I just flipped the fish one time

We served it over rice with a side salad.


The Verdict:

Eliza and family had come down for a swim in the lake so it was dinner for seven with Pat preferring a baked chicken breast to the fish.  The Swordfish was a big hit with the others and even Eliza ate all of hers and part of mine.  The fish was at a 115F after frying and 130F when plated and it was perfect.  And as you can see from the pics, the pan worked perfectly – it has 55% more surface area than the 12” pan.

New Family Additions

Wende decided Eliza was ready for pets so she adopted brother and sister 5 year old, Maltese mixed breed dogs AND Kathy’s eldest daughter, Katelyn, has just given birth to our first great grandchild in San Antonio, TX.  Both she and Matthew Alexander Tijerina Alex are doing well.

Photos can be slightly enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/19/26 event date



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and enjoy your comments