Thursday, May 13, 2021

Greek Salmon

We now have several pieces of salmon in the freezer that we need to work thru and I know there are many recipes for Asian flavored salmon and that was what I was looking for.  But somehow I came across the recipe for Greek Salmon from Delish and since Greek is one of my favorite flavors (especially when Feta is included), I opted to put off Asian until the next time.  Even though I had more salmon than the recipe called for, I followed the ingredients for the topping and here is the pic from their site.


Greek Salmon

The Ingredients:

Topping

1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil

Juice of 2 lemons

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Freshly ground black pepper

1 c. cubed feta

1 c. quartered tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes

1/4 c. sliced kalamata olives

1/4 c. chopped Persian cucumbers

1/4 chopped red onion

2 tbsp. freshly chopped dill

Salmon

1 lemon, thinly sliced

1 small red onion, sliced

4 salmon fillets (12-oz. total), patted dry with paper towels

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°. Marinate feta: In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Season with pepper and add feta, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 10 minutes while preparing other ingredients.


Roast fish: Scatter the sliced lemon and red onion at the bottom of a large baking dish. Add salmon fillets, skin side down, to baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and bake to an internal temp of 125F or our desired doneness level.

Meanwhile, make topping: Into the bowl with feta, add tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, chopped red onion, and dill. Fold gently to combine.

To serve: Plate salmon with lemon and red onion slices and top with feta mixture.

The Verdict:

Lately, we have decided that we often want to eat as much of the main item we want rather than having side dishes and in this case I elected to let the topping be the side dish.  We thought it was delicious and maybe the best salmon dish I’ve ever had - but I still could not eat all of the big piece.  The fish was flakey but still very moist and the topping was very Greek and would go well on other fish or chicken.  If you like Greek and you like salmon, this is a must try.

And I'm sure it's not a surprise -  my delicious breakfast the next morning.


Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/4/21 event dates

6 comments:

  1. Darn I wished I saw this before I posted my new recipe, this is much better and I love that you used cucumbers! PErfect I will be making this version next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Great looking salmon recipe! The breakfast was no surprise but it does look good... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love Greek flavors & salmon so this recipe is calling my name. Your breakfast the next day looks mighty tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking dish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks excellent, Larry! I love all of those wonderful flavors. We usually grill our salmon but think the sauce could be adapted to use on grilled fish too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments