Friday, May 1, 2020

Some Random Meals While Hunkered Down

Since we've been in lock down mode here at Almost Heaven South, my blog has been pretty much devoted to the meals we've been cooking and as you can tell we've eaten pretty well and all gained a little weight.  While most of the meals had an entire post devoted to then, we've had several that didn't get that treatment and following are several of them, beginning with my showing Cindy how to cook blackened catfish.  We used a heavy cost of Emeril’s Essence on two filets and Sint Maarten Blackening Seasoning on the other three.





She cooked them two at a time outside in a 12” cast iron skillet and sided them with some lightly steamed then sautéed green beans and pearl onions.


The side dish was delicious and the fish would have been had we realized the spices we used contained salt which made the fish too salty.  I make my chili powder without salt for this reason and will do the same with my next batch of Essence.

While they were at Marco Island in November, the girls made their normal visit to the very nice local farmers market and picked up a locally made chicken pot pie.  The partially baked pie from the husband and wife team called Sassy Tarts was frozen by Bev so all we had to do was pop it in the oven to thaw out and finish baking.



We all thought it was as good as it looked and wish we could make one like theirs, which seemed to have filo-dough for the crust.

Every so often, Bev requires a hamburger fix and this was the night for some six ounce burgers, topped with smoked cheddar and pepper jack cheese then adorned with the usual condiments.  This is mine and it was delicious but more importantly, Bev was satisfied.


Cindy doesn’t eat beef so we fixed her a plant based "impossible burger" and we all tried a bite of a second one we cooked.  It looked like meat and tasted like meat (not necessarily beef) to me, and Cindy said it was the best non-meat burger she’d ever had so she was already looking forward to the next one.


When I made the teriyaki pork a week ago, the piece of pork loin I had was a little more than called for in the recipe so I used the opportunity to carve off a few thin cutlets to use for breakfast.  They just got a season of S&P and a dusting of flour before frying in a little oil and when served with some fluffy scrambled eggs, they made for a very nice breakfast.



Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/15/20 event date

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks tasty to me but that chicken pot pie really has me drooling. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm of the opinion that like a fine Scotch, one must develop a taste for catfish. In other words, I wish I would have been there for the demo. :) I think Bev bought a pie similar to that in Brighton when you were here. I've never bought one but would like to next time I'm there. Yessiree -- looks like you're eating very well while hunkered down. However, I'm not a bit surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's great that you've been eating well through the lockdown. I understand Blount County is opening back up, albeit slowly, but with restaurants only permitted to seat at 25% of capacity, I'm sure it will be a while before everyone who wants to eat out is able to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, Love blackened catfish... Laurie ranks chicken pot pie very high on her comfort food scale! We made burgers the other day and we were happy, content campers. Love the pork cutlets and eggs, no surprise there, right? Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments